Connecting users together for a multiplayer game

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1337Skittles, May 11, 2010.

1. 1337Skittles macrumors newbie

1337Skittles

So I'm a complete noob to the whole programming scene. So I was day dreaming and came up with a nifty game. however the parts that would make it fun are outside of what I would like to maintain. My goal is to make a maintenance free multiplayer game that does not require a web server to connect users together. Looking at my carefully drawn diagram here, I want to know if its possible to connect someone in Nebraska to someone in Kansas inside of a game without using a server. Reason being is because I do not have the time or resources to maintain a dedicated server.

[​IMG]

let the hating commence

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

GameKit. You'll need access to the 4.0 beta but it's been enhanced to do what you want. I can't really say any more than that.

3. 1337Skittles thread starter macrumors newbie

1337Skittles

sweet thanks, I just wanted to know if it was possible before I dove into things

4. xStep macrumors 68000

Is the little red think on the server a light, a switch, or a combo switch with light? :p

Of course what you are asking is possible. The trick is IP address discovery. You could have each user e-mail or pm their address to the other one and then have them enter it into your app. That is primitive. You could suggest they use a service such and DYNDNS, have your app update their own IP and them have them enter and save the other persons URL name into your app. This way the app could find opponents.

As robbieduncan has mentioned as I've typed the above, Apple is coming out with a service in OS 4.0. This should make life easier.

5. 1337Skittles thread starter macrumors newbie

1337Skittles

is it possible to just have the app connect to another random user rather than have two users exchange their IP addresses

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, with 4.0.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

Sure, but it would statistically be unlikely to happen. Think about what you are asking; out of hundreds of millions of computers on the internet at any one time, you want your app to find copies of it self without any help.

You require a service, or manual intervention to do what you want. Internet communication is based on rules and servers, not magic. :)

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Somehow I doubt that's what the OP is really asking for.

9. xStep macrumors 68000

It seems to me that is what the OP is effectively asking for.