Connecting VGA display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by giovanni.apd, May 1, 2007.

1. giovanni.apd macrumors member

Hey,
    I'm trying to connect my Macbook Pro C2D to a VGA display via the adapter. So far, it seems as though its been detected as I can drag windows off of the LCD screen as well as move my mouse way off the LCD screen. However, the VGA screen is not showing any image. Am I missing some crucial step? Does my computer not support this feature?
    Thanks for the help

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Your computer supports it, but may not know the resolutions supported by that display. If sleep/wake or powering the display down/up don't help (and you're sure there's no input setting or something to change on the display itself), then you might look for a third-party util that can force a certain res (and refresh rate) that you know your display can handle. Maybe something like this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15467

3. giovanni.apd thread starter macrumors member

I found a label on the back of the VGA display that says 50-60Hz. The settings I'm given list 60Hz as an option, but it is grayed out and is not selectable. Is there anything I can do about this?

4. giovanni.apd thread starter macrumors member

grrr sorry, another update. I decreased the output resolution, which allowed me to decrease the frequency of the output. However, the external display is still blank, and just goes into sleep mode when i connect it.