Connecting video and sound to hdmi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iWalsh, Jan 5, 2010.

1. iWalsh macrumors member

Hi guys,

I know this is probably an old topic for most, but I would like to hook up my 2009 macbook 13" to a hdmi monitor and a hdmi tv. I know there is a adapter cable u can buy to achieve this, my question however, is how to I also connect it up so that sound and video travel together? Do I need 2 different cables? Is there a cable on the market that will do both?

Thanks in advance:)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah this is a very popular question. Monoprice has a converter that does just that.

3. iWalsh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I checked them out, a lot of stuff, it is not exactly clear to me which one carries sound and video, a link would be appreciated. :)

4. iWalsh thread starter macrumors member

I found this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

However it says:

*NOTE* AUDIO: This adapter will support audio only if your source device allows audio output through the Mini DisplayPorts interface. If you're not sure, please check with the manufacturer or website to confirm if your device allows audio out through the Mini-DP interface.

Is this the only option? Or is there a cable that will ensure sound is carried?

Noob questions I know. I am new to mac.

5. iWalsh thread starter macrumors member

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U got it. I just have the regular one, since my HDTV has RCA audio input jacks.