Connecting white Macbook Core Duo to an HDTV via HDMI?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ubuntu, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

G'day folks,

Hopefully my lack of general knowledge won't prove to be a hinderance. I'm essentially looking for an adapter from a mini-DVI (I think thats what it is called?) to the HDMI port, and it needs to be about a metre long.

I don't want to spend too much. Also, its a 22 inch TV, its 1080p or something, could anyone speculate what the quality would be via HDMI? Would the resolution be severely crippled?

Thank you for reading.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

There is no official Mini-DVI to HDMI cable available. I have never seen a third party offering them either. So, you're left with a couple of options. Buy an HDMI cable and a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter. The adapter should be available in an electronics story such as Maplin. Doubt you'd find one in a retail-type store. Or you could buy a cheaper adapter from Apple, such as the Mini-DVI to DVI and acquire a HDMI-DVI-D cable. You'll get a resolution of 1920x1080 through a 1080p connection. The quality would be the same as any 1080p connection. :)

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

they make this one that is specifically designed for the mac. then all you need is another HDMI cable and your set. the resolution should be pretty good. just make sure that whatever you are watching is in full screen mode.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Thats great, guys. Thanks very much.

Only problem is that the cable linked seems quite short. Has anyone seen a longer one?

Also, I was looking into this 4-way switch box, would I be losing quality? Its quite a cheap box, so I'd imagine there would be some quality loss, but anything major?

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

its just a little adaptor. just plug a long hdmi cord into it.

also i would stay away from switchers unless you absolutely need it. the cheap ones especially. they can be a nightmare to get working and yes you lose some quality. whether one notices is different for each individual

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except mine is nearly a third of the price of yours and from a reputable seller. :D

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea i saw that and edited my post.

10. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I see. Well, thanks to all of you for your help. I think the best plan is to get that Mini-DVI to HDMI cable (there is a 30cm one on amazon.co.uk), and just simply share the HDMI cable I'm using for my Xbox.

Thanks a lot, everyone.:)

11. -Ryan- macrumors 68000