Connecting Wireless Router with iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by themoonisdown09, Jul 17, 2008.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just switched to cable internet from DSL today and I also just received my Time Capsule. I went through the setup process with the Airport Utility and I thought that I had everything working. I can see the hard drive of the Time Capsule, but my internet connection isn't working. If I hook my iMac up to the modem, it works.

Now, when I had DSL, I didn't have any kind of router. The technician told me that if I wanted to connect another computer directly into the modem, I would have to call them and give them the ethernet id for my computer in order for it to work. I'm wondering if I need to call the cable company and give them the ethernet id for my Time Capsule.

I can list any settings that might be helpful to get a solution, but I don't know if it will make a difference because my Airport Utility says that everything is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Well... I finally figured it out! So I was searching for solutions on the internet and I came across another MacRumors thread. This is the quote that I got my solution from:

So I rebooted my modem with it connected to the Time Capsule. When the modem came back up, my internet connection worked. So basically, all the other times I rebooted my modem, it was connected to my iMac.

Anyways, my setup would have been so much easier if the documentation would have said to turn the modem off when you connect the Time Capsule. Then turn it back on and go through the Airport Utility setup.