Connecting with both ethernet and wireless simultaneously

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noetus, Jan 31, 2008.

1. noetus macrumors member

When at home on my desk, my Macbook Pro is connected to the home network via the Gigabit ethernet port. At the same time, it finds and connects to the Wireless network (it's the same network).

Can I work on the assumption that it gives priority to the faster connection?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Your System Prefs -> Network Prefs will indicate/allow you to choose which connection you are using.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if both are connected, ethernet will trump wireless.

4. noetus thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, but my question was about which connection would have priority. I see nothing in the System Prefs > Network about that. Of course I can disconnect one of the services, but I don't wish to do that unless it's necessary, i.e. unless it doesn't give the faster connection priority. Hence my question!

5. noetus thread starter macrumors member

How do you know? How can I verify that? Does it mean, for example, if that the Ethernet connection stops working properly (but is still connected), then I will lose all connectivity despite having a working wireless connection? That seems to be implied by your answer but it would really surprise me.

It's turning out to be harder than I thought to get an answer to my question!