Connecting Xbox 360 to wireless network via my powermac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Power-Maka-16, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Power-Maka-16 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have an XBOX 360, and I wish to connect to XBOX Live, but as I don't have a router downstairs, and don't wish to splash out £55 on an XBOX wireless adapter, I want to connect to the wireless network via my PowerMac G5, but I cant, and keep getting error messages on my XBOX that it cant find the network.

Does anyone have any advice? I am connecting to my PowerMac with a blue Belkin ethernet cable, but I have borrowed it off my friend so I don't know what the specs of it are. Can anyone help?:confused:

Thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so your router is wired and its connected to your PowerMac which has wireless… is that correct? how are you going to connect to your PowerMac's wireless if your XBOX doesnt have wireless? im not understanding your setup.

3. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

4. without a hat macrumors newbie

i followed this mate and it worked. (after loads of attempts.
    restart your mac once you have done the final test (after the dns stuff).
    hope it works
    :)

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ya, those directions arent* completely clear. For example, after entering the IP stuff in the xbox you have to test the connection, which will fail. If you just hit cancel or press the B button to back out all the info you entered in will not be saved. But that link does give the necessary steps to get online.

edit - * Id inadvertently put "are completely clear", meant arent *

6. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

7. MrAngry macrumors newbie

Don't know if these instructions are any clearer but I found the others weren't really working for me.

1. Connect your laptop using an Ethernet cable to your Xbox 360.

2. Open System Preferences -> Sharing and enable Internet Sharing; ensure that you select Share Your Connection from Airport using Ethernet.

3. Now select System Preferences -> Network -> Airport and click on Advanced. Select DNS and copy down the two DNS Server numbers there. (Other guides suggest that when you enter the DNS number on your Xbox that you use your IP Address however this didn’t work for me.)

4. Open Terminal and type in “ifconfig en0” Copy down your inet number.

5. Switch on your Xbox and navigate to the Network settings menu -> Edit Settings.

6. Manually enter the following data into the fields:

a. Under the IP address enter your inet number but increase the final digit by one. I.E. if your inet number was 192.168.2.1 change this to 192.168.2.2

b. Under Subnet Mask enter 255.255.255.0

c. Under Router/Gateway enter the inet number as it was initially. I.E. 192.168.2.1

d. Once you’ve entered these numbers select done, a window will pop up and ask if you want to test these settings. Select Test Xbox Live. A second window will require your permission to sign out, select Yes and run the test.

e. Move onto the DNS settings and manually enter the Primary and Secondary DNS Server numbers which you got earlier.

f. Follow the instructions as in step d.

g. You should now be able to connect to Xbox live.

Hope this helps :)

8. vinaykagarwal macrumors newbie