connecting xbox to airport extreme using ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xtn, Aug 31, 2012.

1. xtn macrumors regular

Hey guys!

So, currently I've got my Airport Extreme setup for a wireless network. What I'd like to do is use one of the Ethernet ports to connect my 360 (for a better connection). I've plugged in the Ethernet cable, but my xbox doesn't recognize a connection (only the wireless network works). Anyone have a suggestion? Why do I have the ethernet ports on the AE if they won't connect? Maybe I'm missing something really simple...

Thanks in advance!

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Maybe one of these :

1. Bad Cable
    2. Bad Airport
    3. Bad XBox
    4. Not a good connection.

Should work without much issue.

3. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks CylonGlitch! I'm gonna try changing the cable, that's a good idea. Do you have a similar setup?

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

We have an xbox connected to an Airport Extreme with an ethernet cable.

Our setup works fine.

What does the xbox tell you for the status of the ethernet port when you plug the cable in? If you go to network setup, it will tell you if it can even see a cable plugged in.

5. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the issue. My xbox doesn't even recognize a cable is connected...

6. MeliFelipe macrumors newbie

Similar problem

I'm also having a problem similar to this, except with my MBP, wired connection does not work, but wireless is working without a hitch.

- in network prefs, it shows as connected also green lighted, but no connection the the internet

- checked cables, switched the cable going from the wall to the AEBS, with the one from the AEBS, issue persists, wireless still works, not the cables.

- cannot access airport utility via wired connection

this leads me to think that one of the ports is bad, either on the router or my MBP but as a said, network prefs is stating that it is connected.

any insite? both the AEBS and the MBP are in warranty so servicing them should be no problem, just trying to gauge if there is something I can do to get it working on the software end

(edit) wireless does have 5ghz band active, everything is up to date