Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serge2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
I have a cable modem hooked up to D-Link DI-614+ Wireless router, which is hooked up to my PC. Before when i had jaguar, everything went smoothly. Now when i installed Panther (clean installation) my connection in my Powerbook 12"(1 GHz) cuts off after a few minutes, i estimate after 5-8 mins of browsing in the internet after i turn the PB on. It really doesnt "cutoff" perse, because my connection status says im connected and my network icon shows BARS.

Now, what i have been doing is just turning the Airport OFF and then turning it back ON (from the NETWORK STATUS ICON options) and that fixes the problem for the next 10 mins or so then it goes out again!! This is really pissing me off, it was fine before!

Now i downloaded that airport patch and im not sure if that did anything... it was the second day after i installed panther that that patch came out, is there anyway of uninstalling that patch?

Also before panther installtion my icon showing the network status BARS used to be full and did not fluctuate, now it bounces from 3 bars to full...

i dont know whats wrong i been playing with my router configurations and nothing, i know its not the router since my PC laptop gets the signal when the PB is down. So assuming its a PB configuration thats wrong or its just a bug in panther. Someone HELP... thanks in advance

Heres some stats of my configuration under NETWORK- SYSTEM PREFERENCES:

I have my location to AUTOMATIC, which recognizes my local network.

I have my TCP/IP setup Manually with the correct information, should be right since it works but it just cuts off...

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
i dont have panther installed, but i am having similar problems.
my connection will just die sometimes and then i have to wait a couple minutes for it to come back.
annoying

serge2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
Evil, yes if i dont manually Turn it off and back on, it automatically comes back on by itself. There has to be a way to fix this, it was fine before under jaguar! How long have u been having this problem?

serge2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Long Island, NY
Hey evil,

Just for your information, i fixed the problem. My brother had updated the firmware on the D-link. We put the old firmware on it and now my connection doesnt get cutoff.. maybe you should try that....

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I have the same issue in my iMac and I was just going to mention that I updated the firmware from D-Link and since that day I had a problem with my Mac. I use 128 bit encription and the way it was configured I was able to enter my password using an ascii string. Since the update I was not able to connect until I change my encription string to be Hex (not ascii) and from the Mac I had to enter it with a $ preceding the string. I found this info in the D-Link web site. Anyway I will try to revert the firmware and I will let you know.

BTW could you guys please post your Router model and firmware version:

Mine is DI-624 (I think it is the first revision but it is difficult to tell since the Website shows the same photo for revisions 1 and 2) and currently the firmware version is 1.24. Originally it was 1.20 so I will try to revert it.

donshank

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Los Angeles
thank god!
i thought that it was my isp which is much harder to get them to fix problems than just waiting for apple to fix their bugs. ;-)
every once in a while my internet just cuts out and i find if i just wait for 5 minutes or so it just starts working again.
what a DUD!
well, at least it get's me up and away from the computer for a bit now an then hehe.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I woke my PB from sleep and had no connection to server on my cable modem. After going via Network setup Assistant it reset a new location, I am up and running fine. Before disappearing, a pop down box told me another application had turned off my original settings. Very strange.

Out of interest can anyone shed light on this? Looking in Network preferences I have no info at all showing under Automatic now. It is connecting to server fine though. When I select the new location option that Network Assistant set up, I get the IP address and the references for router etc which used to show in Automatic pre the glitch. So why wont anything show in Automatic location?

Also what are the two references - iPV4 - against the DHCP etc drop down box, and at the bottom - iPV6 - which has a mile long number and the option to configure it?

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
to clarify, i am using a linksys 4 port wireless G router
c ombined with my 12 PB wth airport extreme.

i just set up a brand new emac today that i have connected (wired) to the router.
anyone can help me on how to get them networked?

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Late but surely

Going back to an old post. I finally managed to get the people from D-LInk to send me the old (and in theory wrong) version of the DI-Link DI-624 router. I "Downgraded" the firmware from version 1.24 to 1.20, and now it is working like a charm. I hope it is not coincidence since I intalled a couple of hours ago, but since the upgrade of the firmware until now, I could not work over an hour without loosing the connection or going really slow (almost not signal) at least every 20 minutes or so. Now the signal is steady at 3 bars (out of 4) which is the way it was after upgrading from Jaguar to Panther (In jaguar it used to be full signal). Anyway, if it helps anybody having connectivity issues with the Di-LINK wriless router, remember to try "Downgrading" your firmware.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I had this probelm before, with 10.2.4 i upgraded the fireware, to what was at that time the newest version ever since it has been great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.