Connection between harddrive crash and new ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bdugan, Mar 2, 2009.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

About 6 months ago, I upgraded my MB pro (first model when they came out) to 2gb of ram. Within a week, my harddrive crashed.

Originally, i was told it was my logicboard that crashed, so i returned my ram and was going to buy a new comp. However, I took apart my computer and noticed it was the harddrive.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there was any connection between the crash and installing the new ram. It was Crucial ram. My computer is slow, and I could use the extra speed. I jsut dont want to experience another crash.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Bad RAM causes kernel panics, not failing hard drives. It's also highly unlikely there was a problem with crucial ram running in a mac. IMHO, just bad timing.

3. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot.

The weird thing is, that when my harddrive wouldn't start, it had the kernal panic warning.

Anymore thoughts?

4. foidulus macrumors 6502a

When you say the hard drive crashed, I'm assuming there was something physically wrong with it. Bad RAM could corrupt the contents of the hd and maybe make your computer unbootable without reinstalling, but it wouldn't physically damage it.

5. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

well i ended up putting taking out the bad harddrive, installing a new one, and putting the old one in an external enclosure. After downloading a program to get my info off my old drive because my computer wouldnt read it, i got everything off of it.

Does this just mean it was an issue with the harddrive alone?

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Kernel panics occur with bad ram (on a hardware level) and simplistically, they occur if info the kernel needs to run can't be read off the hard drive.

It sounds like it was the later for you.

If you get the issue again with the new drive, then the RAM is most likely the problem (other things still could be issues, but that's a likely suspect based on your description). Reformat the old drive and reinstall OS X - if it gives you panics again in that process, then the HD is a likely culprit. If you want to invest a little money in a nice tool, pick up disk warrior and/or dive genius and run the tools on those on the old drive - you may get some helpful answers there (like a load of bad sectors).