Connection between iTunes and iPad & iPhone drops after an hour...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greatestrobo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. greatestrobo macrumors newbie

I have a early 2011 15" Macbook Pro with iTunes installed and Home Sharing activated. My iPad and iPhone will connect with iTunes for about an hour and after that the connection will drop (meaning the idevices will no longer communicate with my computer, but wifi on all devices are still working fine).

I've tried to tinker around with this and noted that if I turn off my Wifi on my computer and reconnect to my Wifi router, my idevices will connect once again with my computer. However, after an hour, all the devices will stop communicating with my laptop again. This means that I can't home-share and can't wifi sync my devices. Also, I have an app on my idevices called Air Media Server where it also connects my laptop to my idevices and streams movies and that also stops functioning after an hour of connectivity. Thus, I don't think it's an iTunes problem.

Now, I'm thinking it's either a problem with my Macbook (maybe I need to mess with some connection settings?) or it could be due to my router. My router is a MediaLink N Router - 2.4GHz 150 Mbps 802.11n.

Has anyone else had this problem before or know any solutions? Thanks!

2. pscraig macrumors member

Sounds like an issue with the router. It's not keeping the connections alive during periods of no use. Not familiar with your router, but check the IP lease duration and disable any kind of packet optimization (for video, gaming etc) the router might have. I had a ZyXel that had lots of fancy media-prioritizing settings, that also refused to work with my LaserJet until I disabled it all, making just a dumb router.