connection failed (before printing)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Pittot Films, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Pittot Films macrumors newbie

Hi All - hope someone can help :confused:

I get an error message whenever I try to change a printer option from any app (Printer is Canon MX850). If I don't want to change anything and just click on "print" - it prints!, which is why I think this is a "network timeout connecting to non existent server" problem and not a printer issue.

The error message says:
    Connection failed
    The server "10.0.1.4" may not exist or it is not operational at
    this time. Check the server name or IP address and
    try again.

I don't have a server called 10.0.1.4 (or called anything else either) My system is an iMac & macbook (both on Snow Leopard), airport extreme, a couple of Airport expresses, Apple TV & a variety of USB /Firewire HDDs, plus the Canon MX850

I have:-
    Reinstalled the printer and updated the printer driver, as well as reset the printing system.
    I've cleared recent server connections and deleted the files in ~/Library/Favorites (because the favorite servers list wouldn't remember to clear itself whenever I asked it to!)
    I've trashed the prefs at /Lib/Prefs/SysConfig
    I've reinstalled Snow Leopard
    I've logged in as another user
    I've set up a new 'location'

............ and still it seems to be looking for a connection to a non existent server and keeping me waiting for a couple of minutes till it times out before I can print anything.

My macbook though doesn't suffer this problem even though the printer is hanging off the iMac!!! The macbook connects by airport and prints fine, with no delays to Canon MX850@iMac!!

Surely there must be a tool somewhere to get a visual map of the home network and make it forget any server that it may have been connected to in the past but isn't now???

Any ideas??????????????, Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Jonty

2. gadenino macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I'm having the same problem. I had it for a while with Leopard after I bought my iMac and used the Migration Assistant to import data from the G4 it was replacing.

The message I received specified my old G4 as the missing server. I never figured out how to resolve the problem. It just stopped occurring its own one day.

However, the problem (with the same server reference) reappeared when I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

For obvious reasons, I believe the problem is the result of the persistence of old sharing settings from my G4 which were imported by the Migration Assistant. I even think I know where they may be located within the System, but I'm not comfortable enough with the Terminal application to attempt to remove them.

3. Pittot Films thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    I used Migration Assistant when moving to this Mac, so yes maybe there is some rogue setting somewhere that should have been forgotten by the OS but got preserved. Where do you think the settings are stored?

Jonty

4. Pittot Films thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All
    I have solved this annoying problem. It was caused by a rogue alias pointing to an old version of Photoshop in the PDF services folder which pointed nowhere (presumably the previous version of PS was on 10.0.1.4?) Simply deleted the alias (and aded one pointing at PS CS3) and all is well.
    Cheers
    Jonty