Connection Help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JackieInCo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have been having some trouble getting one MKV movie that I have, to play the audio through my Apple TV. I can get the audio to play through VLC, just not through my ATV.

I was doing some reading and read that it could be because of the connection I am using.

I then tried connecting the HDMI cable from my ATV one of the four HDMI inputs on the bcd of my receiver and the output on that to my TV. I tried all four of the HDMI inputs and got the same problem which is no signal.

I rebooted the ATV and got the picture to come up as it was booting but only so far as where it shows the apple. Once it passes that, I get no signal again.

Any ideas here? Thanks

2. Longkeg macrumors regular

I think you may be leaving out some important info. The ATV doesn't natively support the MKV container so how is it playing on an ATV? I assume you are using an Airplay solution. This can be problematic, especially with (u-hum) torrent files. The easiest solution for me would be to run the offending MKV through Handbrake using the appropriate ATV preset. The resulting .m4v file will stream to your ATV from iTunes just like you bought it from Apple.

3. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I use Subler but none of the audio presets would work on my Apple TV. I then tried Handbrake and the audio then cuts out for a second once or twice a minute

I also just tried iFlicks and that makes the audio work but I get the same result as Handbrake with the audio cutting out here and there.

It the movie were still available in iTunes, I would save myself the trouble and just buy it.I've been working on this one video all weekend to try and get it to work.

4. Longkeg macrumors regular

For what it's worth it doesn't sound like a connection/hard wear issue. I think you have a bad file. It sounds like you need to find new source material and start over. Good luck.

5. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

Believe me, I'm trying. I have one more copy I was able to find that I'll be running through iFlicks in a minute here.

Thanks for the responses.

6. Longkeg macrumors regular

You mentioned it was playing OK in VLC. Are you using a computer that supports Airplay mirroring? What happens if you mirror the movie from the computer to the ATV. It may end up being a decent work around.

7. JackieInCo thread starter macrumors 601

I am now using Air Video app on my iPad to play the original MKV through my Apple TV. It is playing back flawlessly. :)