Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
hello,
I am a new user of mac. I had good browsing speed so far. but in these three days, I don't know what exactly happened to my mac. It takes more than 10 seconds to open ordinary pages like google/wiki. and I am sick of it. :mad: I thought it might be the modem, but actually not. cus my friend came with his laptop and the speed was pretty good in his. May be I was downloading some musics from a non secured site........... , but would that be a problem? the downloading speed is more than 20Mb/s from speedtest.net but is unbelievably very very slow. please, let me have ur help.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yeah, i don't know what it could be, try repairing permissions as well (don't know if that makes sense or if it will help at all but it won't hurt that's for sure). Have you only tried using it at your house? how doe sit connect on other networks?same?slow?

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I think it may be a browser issue as well. Try Firefox, Camino or Opera and see if those help.

absima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
still no change.

Yeah, I tried firefox before posting the thread. and yes, am using it at my home; well, I tried it by connecting it with a friend's modem, again the same problem on my mac only. disk repairing permission ........ I just did a few minutes ago, it didn't work either. About IP and the DNS, I don't know what to do with it. I mean, what number should I put in place of the automatically set ids. I don't know. I just attached the speedtest measure I get at this moment.
Thank u all for trying to help me.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 55

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The website OpenDNS has two servers you can enter in in your connection specific preferences. You will just click on the plus sign below the 2 existing DNS servers provided by your ISP. The DNS servers translate requests for websites like Google or YouTube into an IP address through lookup. If the servers are not working or have to struggle to locate a site it may take longer to find the address. Creating a new location however would be the first step in my opinion.

absima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Thanking Jedi

I can't believe it worked soon after i tried it a few min. ago, following ur advice. thank u thank u thank u my friend!!! JEDIMEISTER solved my problem. and I am proud of having help from all u guys. thank u very much.

Have a good day!!!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.