connection is very slow in my mac compared to my friends' laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by absima, Jan 17, 2009.

1. absima macrumors newbie

hello,
    I am a new user of mac. I had good browsing speed so far. but in these three days, I don't know what exactly happened to my mac. It takes more than 10 seconds to open ordinary pages like google/wiki. and I am sick of it. :mad: I thought it might be the modem, but actually not. cus my friend came with his laptop and the speed was pretty good in his. May be I was downloading some musics from a non secured site........... , but would that be a problem? the downloading speed is more than 20Mb/s from speedtest.net but is unbelievably very very slow. please, let me have ur help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you tried Firefox? It could just be a browser issue.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, i don't know what it could be, try repairing permissions as well (don't know if that makes sense or if it will help at all but it won't hurt that's for sure). Have you only tried using it at your house? how doe sit connect on other networks?same?slow?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Try setting up a new network location, or check if you have several DNS server IPs entered.

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I think it may be a browser issue as well. Try Firefox, Camino or Opera and see if those help.

6. absima thread starter macrumors newbie

still no change.

Yeah, I tried firefox before posting the thread. and yes, am using it at my home; well, I tried it by connecting it with a friend's modem, again the same problem on my mac only. disk repairing permission ........ I just did a few minutes ago, it didn't work either. About IP and the DNS, I don't know what to do with it. I mean, what number should I put in place of the automatically set ids. I don't know. I just attached the speedtest measure I get at this moment.
    Thank u all for trying to help me.

Attached Files:

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The website OpenDNS has two servers you can enter in in your connection specific preferences. You will just click on the plus sign below the 2 existing DNS servers provided by your ISP. The DNS servers translate requests for websites like Google or YouTube into an IP address through lookup. If the servers are not working or have to struggle to locate a site it may take longer to find the address. Creating a new location however would be the first step in my opinion.

8. absima thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanking Jedi

I can't believe it worked soon after i tried it a few min. ago, following ur advice. thank u thank u thank u my friend!!! JEDIMEISTER solved my problem. and I am proud of having help from all u guys. thank u very much.

Have a good day!!!! :)