connection issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LKelly30, Dec 13, 2008.

1. LKelly30 macrumors newbie

I have been having a lot of trouble for the past couple weeks connecting on the internet. I have a macbook using the airport through a netgear router. I have had no problems for almost a year. Lately, everytime I try to go to any website including the apple start page, google, gmail, etc. they barely load, take forever, load halfway, or load a little but show no pics and only text. The error is usually safari can't connect to server, or lost connection, server stopped responding etc., as well as others. There are a few others computers in the house with no issues. I have searched all over for ways to remedy this with no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The universal fix for modems/routers is unplugging it them for 5 minutes, and plugging them back in (called power cycling). However, as you have other computers connected just fine it might not be the case (as long as you know any settings you might need from your ISP, or not if they dont require it you could give it a try, unplugging both the modem and router for a few minutes and then plugging them both back in).

See if there is a firmware update for the router from the manufacturers website. Generally there is a manual way to do this with a Mac, but if you're not familiar with it could be easier if done on a PC that has the netgear software installed on it (as is for linksys, not sure with netgear). Also, run the system updater on your Mac as there may be a firmware/security/system related update that could help.

Also, try creating a new location in the network system preferences. Give it a name, but don't change any of the settings unless needed by your ISP. To take that further, you can try creating a new user on your system to see if there is anything software/settings related in your current user that is causing the issue.

3. LKelly30 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. LeFu79 macrumors newbie

macbook airport stopped connecting to my router

Hi,

I have macbook intel 2.0 GHz and Mac OS X 10.4.11.
    I had no problems with connecting with belkin g plus mimo router (f5d9230-4) before, but suddenly it dropped down the connection.
    It was about two months ago, in meantime I was trying to reset modem and router many times, I did "restore factory default" on the router and set it up again, I was trying to change location in network system preferences, but it doesn't work.
    I see my router as available in airport networks list, but I am not able to connect to it, it shows "password is not valid" when I'm trying to do it by network setup assistant, and "there was an error joining the airport network" when by airport scroll down menu.
    I was also trying to set router as a open network, or to change the password.
    My other wireless devices like iphone 3g have no problems with setting up such connection, but my macbook must be wired if I want to access internet at the moment :(

Any ideas what can be the problem?

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I'm having the same problem

Can anyone help me with a sudden but apparent stupidity about networking? My router was getting very slow with its connections, not only Internet but also dropping or blocking connections to other PCs. I got a new Linksys router to replace the failed unit but I can't seem to get it to work.

I followed the instructions to configure it, but now I can't access the configuration screens on the router. I can ping the router, I can ping the gateway, and I can ping the local machine. OS X says that the Built-in Ethernet connection is active and shows an IP address through which it is successfully connected to the Internet. The OS X boot screen identifies a network and starts the network services. I get a ready light from the network card and the cable connections are good.

But when I try to do anything on the network besides pinging local hosts, nothing works. I can't get into the router configuration screens through Safari, and I can't get into the router through Windows. When I did my last router configuration, it was as simple as plugging the modem into the WAN port and turning on the computers. Both OS X and Windows automatically identified the router and configured automatically. I don't see where anything has changed in those configurations besides OS X now showing the new IP address of the router on the DHCP configuration screen.

At this point, I'm totally stuck, because no systems can access the Linksys router's configuration screens. It's like there's a firewall blocking access to it. I can do a reset-to-defaults on the router, but why should this be necessary? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but I'm guessing that I have a PEBKAC error.

I tried turning off the router for five minutes, but that failed to fix the problem too. Then I tried resetting the router to defaults by holding down the Reset button for 30 seconds, but I still can't access the router's configuration screens. The router shows network activity, and it is connecting to the modem, but I can't do anything with it.

The workaround was to change the IP address of the new router to match the old router's IP address.

Also, the reset on the Linksys router appears to happen after 3 seconds of pressing the Reset button, not 30 seconds as stated in the manual. The power light blinks when the reset occurs.

Can anyone explain how to change the IP address that the operating systems are looking for from the router?

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Sounds awful.

You mentioned that 3 seconds reset it. Did it reset to factory settings or just reset a few settings for the router?

Can or do any machine connect to it through ethernet? Cause if that's the case I would say it's one of the blue models, and even if you purchased it new, Linksys has a habbit of shipping them (or them just sitting on the shelves) with older firmware. I would hardline a machine to it and check out that possibility.

7. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

The 3-second reset appears to reset the router to initial defaults, with password clearing and IP address reset. The claim of 30 seconds in the manual seems excessive, and it is probably a misprint.

With any IP address except for the address from the old router, I am quickly locked out by both Windows and Mac. If I reboot the router, by holding down the Reset button for 1.5 seconds, I can sometimes access its IP address for configuration, but then it quickly locks me out again after saving the configuration. I tried changing the IP address to an arbitrary number, but that doesn't work either. The only IP address that can be used is the address from the old router. There appeared to be no other potential addressing conflicts, as I was directly connected from the PC to the router and no modem or other systems were connected. The router simply locks me out.

Then I tried another router, from a different manufacturer, and the same thing happened. Using its default IP address, which was not 192.168.1.1, I could configure it and reboot, but then I had no network access and could not access the router. I had to reset it to defaults, reboot the PC, and only then could I reconfigure the router. Then it locked me out again. Linksys is not the problem.

It appears that this old IP address is somehow locked into the DHCP configuration settings, but I don't understand where this address is located in the software. The DHCP configuration shows that it is automatically configured and that the IP address will be assigned by the ISP. My network administration skills appear to have expired from disuse. :(

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Oh hey! Did you power cycle the MODEM as well? The unplugging for 5 minutes (actually less, but that's what I feel comfortable with) thing?

Do that for both the modem and the router. I hope you haven't yet, cause that's my last trick without being there and physically smashing the unit myself.

I don't know if it's true, but I have run into issues of the modem seeming like it's retaining settings for a router, especially when switching to a different one.

And, depending on your modem and it's settings (some DSL have configurable modems with the PPPoE settings) I would try resetting that as well. Only once did I have trouble with someones olllld comcast modem which wouldn't work until the reset button was pushed/held, even after power cycling it.

9. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I tried that first after reading this thread. After that failed to fix the problem, I was connecting from the PC to the router with nothing else connected and was having the same problem, with two different routers. The only fix is to change the IP address of the router to match the old address from the old router, and I'd like to understand why this happens.

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Have you tried an exorcism? It might be possessed.