Connection problem with Surface Pro and Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by butters149, Feb 9, 2013.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just bought a surface pro today and I have an apple cinema display with mini display cable laying around, model number is a1267. However when I connect it to the surface, nothing is detected. Do I need any special drivers?

2. wangkom macrumors member

I have the same problem.

I tried doing the old install bootcamp trick but boot camp 4.0 didn't work for me.

I then installed 3.3 (it says I need 3.2). So I installed 3.2 and of course it says I need to install 3.1. I tried to install 3.1 and then it says I need 3.0.

By this time, I recall I had the same problems on my desktop. So I don't have my old OS X discs anymore. I go to download it and after 4hours of downloading crap, I have what I think may be bootcamp 3.0. I tried to install it and it says I need windows 7.

Very frustrating.

Long ago, I did that on my pc to connect the acd to my gaming machine (my imac is for non-gaming) and I went through all that crap and eventually got it going.

With the surface pro and windows 8, I'm fresh out of ideas. Has anyone gotten this to work? Just to be clear, I have the apple cinema display (non-thunderbolt version).

3. wangkom macrumors member

4. bleepinc macrumors newbie

Mini Display port on the Surface Pro

Hi,

I have the same issue, and I don't believe it's a driver issue.
    The Mini Display port is angled on the Surface, preventing the plug from going in all the way.

I have been looking around to find a longer mini display port plug or maybe trying to shave the one I have and see if that will work.

5. wangkom macrumors member

maybe buying a M$ mini-displayport cable would help then.

6. wangkom macrumors member

Please let me know if you try something that works.

For the Apple LED Cinema Displays, a M$ cable won't work because of the connection is from the ACD using the built in cable and there is no female mini dp port on the back of the monitor.

Looks like we need an adapter, or to file down the acd cable to make it fit.

7. henrikdale macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am also using Apple's led cinema display (not the thunderbolt version) and mine works fine. I had already bought the Atlona AT-HD620 so I could play Xbox on the apple display, and I guess re-routing the signal through that box makes it work. As far as I can remember, the atlona box is quite expensive, but I figured some people here might be interested to know that surface pro + Atlona + apple led cinema display works for me. I have no idea why it works, but it does. Maybe someone here can use this information to pinpoint the problem?

8. heartiswell macrumors newbie

if you live in london then this guys can fix it for you. I have got mine fixed yesterday having same problems