Connection Sharing Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Droid13, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Droid13 macrumors regular

Dear All,

I have searched the forum and the Apple support website and haven't been able to get things to work.

Background:
    My MacBook (May '07, Tiger) is currently connected to the internet via 802.1x ethernet. I would like to use the internet sharing feature to set up a small wi-fi network for my iPhone and my PS3 so that they can get some internet access through the MacBook. It is ok to do this on my current network.

The Problem:
    I go to the sharing preferences pane and allow connection sharing, as well as personal web access in the firewall settings. I select to share ethernet via airport, name my network and type in a password. Then nothing happens. Airport is on and I cannot see my network on either the iPhone or the PS3.

I must be doing something wrong here, but can't see what. I am probably being stupid. Please help.

Regards,
    Droid13

2. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

So you have an airport, or are you connecting your Macbook directly to a wired router?

Nevermind... Mac OS newbie here :eek:

Try looking here .

3. Droid13 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, reading my paragraph it is a little muddled. What I am trying to achieve is:

Wired Connection -> MacBook Ethernet Port -> MacBook Airport -> Ad Hoc Wireless Network -> PS3/iPhone Wireless Connection

Thanks!
    Droid13

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Perhaps This Tutorial will help. - GDF

Or where Bubba said..........

5. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Heh. Once I realized that he meant the airport built into the laptop, I tried to cover up my ignorance by quickly googling the question and updating my post. Guess we both found the same link :p

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I was going to say... that link wasn't there a minute ago. ;)

Actually, I've known about MacInstruct for some time. I used their Hard Drive upgrade tutorial in '07. Good stuff.

7. Droid13 thread starter macrumors regular

Unresolved, but I've pinpointed the problem!

Thanks for the link guys - both of you! - while the instructions are basically what I was doing anyway, I decided to switch everything off and follow them word for word, just in case I had done something silly.

It worked. Briefly. I had a little upwards pointing arrow over my Airport indicator and a network that my iPhone could detect and connect to. All I had to do was connect to the ethernet connection and everything would be great - or so I thought!

The second I use Internet Connect to connect to 802.1x verified ethernet, I lose my sharing ability. So the problem is to do with the way 802.1x works and the way I connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!
    Droid13

8. Droid13 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe it is a security thing?

Thanks for the link - had a look through it, doesn't contain much that I can make use of. Had a look at the 10.4 and 10.6 equivalents as well, just in case there was something in there. No luck.

I'm thinking this must be some kind of built-in OS X security - you could argue that by using a WEP encrypted Wi-Fi connection to share my secure 802.1x ethernet connection, I am compromising the overall safety of the network - connection sharing bypasses security.

On the other hand, my friends who have Windows systems have managed this without much hassle. I would like to find the option to allow this and just enable it. Blasted Mac!

Never mind. There probably is a way of getting this to work, I just can't find it. Grrr...

9. Droid13 thread starter macrumors regular

Final (probably) Update

Done some more intensive searching, this problem seems to have no documented solution. If anyone does know of a way of making this work, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Droid13