Connection Speed and Processor Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACDRIVE, May 4, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Is there a limit to how fast a computer can utilise a connection speed based upon its processor speed? I have an old PB G4 with a processor speed of 800mHz and 512mb of RAM. Would a connection speed of 1.5mbps make the pages load any faster than a connection speed of 900kbps on such an old computer?

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

If you are rending huge pages then I would say that your connection speed is what is limiting you and not the CPU. However if the page is java intense or flash then the CPU could play a roll but not for utilizing your connection speed. It could also be the amount of applications are open and how much your browser has to cache things to an even slower hard drive.

Personally I see slow downs with my 800MHz G4 Ti when I am using flash heavy pages and has nothing to do with my connection. My connection is much higher then what you are asking about.

Lastly loading pages is a tricky thing to gauge since many things outside of your control will play a roll in how fast you receive information from the web server you are requesting from. This could include heavy use of the line from your house to your ISP to the DNS server to the web server.

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Thanks for the reply Benjamin. :)

My connection speed is down to 316.6kbps, which seems slow as hell. Monday I'm supposed to start a new plan that raises me up to 1.5mbps. I'll see how that goes.