Connection Speed Question

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
How fast of a connection do I need to watch youtube videos at HD 1080 pixels?
According to most major manufactures, 10MBS seems to be what's needed, but I know people with slower connections who have no issues at all. I was forced into a copper wire connection before FIOS was installed here, and had a pathetic 3-4MBS connection...that didn't work, so the 10MBS seems a good baseline.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
According to most major manufactures, 10MBS seems to be what's needed, but I know people with slower connections who have no issues at all. I was forced into a copper wire connection before FIOS was installed here, and had a pathetic 3-4MBS connection...that didn't work, so the 10MBS seems a good baseline.
10mbps is the bare minimum to watching 1080 with little to no buffer. If you start downloading something else the video will stop and buffer again. It'll be safer to get something about 15mbps or so. Especially if you aren't the only one using the connection.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
10mbps is the bare minimum to watching 1080 with little to no buffer. If you start downloading something else the video will stop and buffer again. It'll be safer to get something about 15mbps or so. Especially if you aren't the only one using the connection.
Yep, probably about right...if you want to avoid the dreaded "Buffering" message. It's so long since I got FIOS, and now get 105MBS down that I can't remember how my ATV1 performed with the copper wire 4MBS, but it wasn't great. The thing is also about a stable speed..a connection that swings around from 3-10 etc. is hopeless. A rock steady 10 should just about cope...More is of course better.