Connection Speed Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, May 19, 2013.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

How fast of a connection do I need to watch youtube videos at HD 1080 pixels?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

According to most major manufactures, 10MBS seems to be what's needed, but I know people with slower connections who have no issues at all. I was forced into a copper wire connection before FIOS was installed here, and had a pathetic 3-4MBS connection...that didn't work, so the 10MBS seems a good baseline.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3.5 Mbs

4. negativzero macrumors 6502

10mbps is the bare minimum to watching 1080 with little to no buffer. If you start downloading something else the video will stop and buffer again. It'll be safer to get something about 15mbps or so. Especially if you aren't the only one using the connection.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, probably about right...if you want to avoid the dreaded "Buffering" message. It's so long since I got FIOS, and now get 105MBS down that I can't remember how my ATV1 performed with the copper wire 4MBS, but it wasn't great. The thing is also about a stable speed..a connection that swings around from 3-10 etc. is hopeless. A rock steady 10 should just about cope...More is of course better.