Connection Time out when upgrading to 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rudh, Nov 22, 2010.

1. rudh, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

rudh macrumors newbie

This has happened twice already. It's not the same 1013 error. It's something else. It says, "There was a problem downloading the software for the iphone. The network connection timed out. My internet just stops working for a few minutes. And I have to reset my connection. And I have to RE-start the software update.

Anyone know what is going on? The first time this happened, my internet died for 3 hours!
    Plus I am currently jailbroken at 4.1, I am attempting to restore to 4.1 by holding SHIFT.

Does anyone know where I can find the link to 4.2 from the official apple website?

2. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Same here! I am guessing server overload.

3. rudh thread starter macrumors newbie

4. AppleSmack macrumors regular

I couldn't update until I did the following:
    • Connect your computer to the router via ethernet cable, not WiFi
    • Plug the iPhone into a USB socket, not into a USB hub
    And, if on a PC:
    • Turn off firewall
    • Turn off antivirus
    • Say three Our Fathers, substituting "Steve Jobs" for "Our Father"
    That's a lot of hoops to jump through just to update your phone, but until Apple get faster update servers (come on, 1.5 hours to download ~650MB?!), I'd rather jump hoops than retry the download several times.

5. xyphr3 macrumors member

And if this does not help? Tried it 4x on the computer. Updated itunes just fine, downloads just fine. After it downloads and it says "file processing" it says time out error. Is it my computer, the connection, the iphone not talking to the computer?

6. AppleSmack macrumors regular

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else would. Anyone else have any suggestions?

7. rmunson1 macrumors newbie

network connection timed out

I have this problem (the network connection timed out) with every new release of iPhone OS software (running Vista). None of the 'helpful' suggestions apply and I find them most annoying. Apple HAS to know this is happening and does nothing to address it. If it is intended as a marketing tool (sell your PC, buy a MAC), it isn't working (for me anyway). What is especially annoying is that it takes 75-80 minutes of downloading before it times out. What a piece of crap.