Connection timeout on WEP/WPA networks

Discussion in 'iMac' started by christf10, Jul 13, 2011.

1. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

HI all,

I have run into a bit of a problem. I have both a 17" Intel iMac and an intel macbook running 10.6.8. The superdrive in my imac died and I was attempting to do a remote install of Snow Leopard via the macbook. I was playing with network config and even created a computer to computer network to try to get it to work. After many failed attempts I gave up and used an external drive on my imac.

Issue now is that both my iMac and Macbook will not connect to my secure WiFi network. I will however connect to my neighbors unsecure network. I completely wiped my iMac and it still will not connect. I then restored from a time machine backup and still cannot connect.

I am in a bit of a bind any help would be greatly appreciated. I have seen other posts similar to this but my problem began after I was messing around with some network settings on my computer. I boggles my mind though that after trying a clean install as well as a restore that the issue still persists.

My linux laptop has no issues connected to my secured network. 4 iPhones connect as well.

Please help :eek:

Many thanks

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I had a myriad of problems when I first brought my iMac to work. I tried everything and it just so happened the "official" IT guy was around. He spent 30 minutes on it and finally unplugged the entire system; routers, switches, etc. After that reboot everything worked perfectly.

Other than that I don't know what to say, seems like your router isn't getting along with that specific computer (my phone was working when I had my issues as well).

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Have you tried just setting up a whole new location under network preferences and try to connect from scratch?

4. christf10 thread starter macrumors member

christf10

Ya I tried that as well, thanks. I actually got it working. I did the obvious thing and just reset the router. Didn't think that would do anything initially since I was messing around with settings and all of my other devices connect without issue.