"Connection Timeout" -- Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Xaixis, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Xaixis macrumors newbie

Hey guys, this is my first post here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or something.

Anyways, I've had my macbook for a good month or two without any problems. I have a refurbished macbook white (got it for around 850$) and so far I've been happy as a clam. It has a 2.1Ghz intel core 2 duo processor and I am currently running 10.6.

My router is Linksys (v2.02.2) and I am on a WEB 1828-bit encryption 26 hex digits

So now would be the first problem and I'm kinda scared because I'm not sure if it's the hardware's fault, program, w/e.

For awhile my internet was great, I got iterally full connection around the whole house. But then suddenly when I was downloading a movie (no not pirating, it was a free documentary) it suddendly crapped out and then disconnected. (I have downloaded quite larger files before with no problem... this is the first time I've had this problem. When ever I try connecting to the internet it gives me the "connection timeout"
    IMAGE --> http://bb.xieke.com/files/screen-capture.png

So I do everything I can but no avail so I look around online with pretty much no help. So I'm kinda worried now because I'm not sure if this is temporary or what. I really don't have a whole lot of money to dish out on repairs and I literally just bought this thing about 2 months ago so I will be really mad if the airport died or something (which I don't think it has because I get 1 or 2 bars every now and then... won't connect to internet though)

PLEASE help guys! I'm really getting worried for my new mac!:(

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Give theses three steps a try

1.Position your wireless router (or wireless access point) in a central location.

When possible, place your wireless router in a central location in your home. If your wireless router is against an outside wall of your home, the signal will be weak on the other side of your home. Don't worry if you can't move your wireless router, because there are many other ways to improve your connection. Move the router off the floor and away from walls and metal objects (such as metal file cabinets).Metal, walls, and floors will interfere with your router's wireless signals. The closer your router is to these obstructions, the more severe the interference, and the weaker your connection will be.

2.Change your wireless channel.

Wireless routers can broadcast on several different channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. In the United States and Canada, these channels are 1, 6, and 11. Just like you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it'll automatically detect the new channel.

3.Reduce wireless interference.

If you have cordless phones or other wireless electronics in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise from the other wireless devices. To quiet the noise, avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones that use the 5.8GHz or 900MHz frequencies.

3. Xaixis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... that didn't seem to work. Once again I am literally on-top right now with no avail. I usually get full connection almost anywhere in my house, then all of a sudden I got "connection timeout" which still not letting me use wireless.

Also I am literally the using one of the only if not only wireless device in the house. All our desktops and gaming consoles are wired. Also I've been doing fine for a good 2 months before it randomly doing this.

What is a connection timeout anyway? Did I use to much broadband... ??

Also my friend suggested that I unlplug and then plug in my router but it didn't really do anything

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

The other suggestion you can do it disable wireless security to see if you still have problems. Another suggestion is to find a starbucks or somewhere that has free wifi and test your wifi there. Then you can determin if it's your laptop or your wireless at home.

5. mbleopard macrumors regular

I was having a problem like that, the connection would cut in and out constantly, very annoying. Anyways try iStumbler, it will allow you to view all the wireless networks that your picking up, the signal strength, and also the channel they are transmitting at. If you live in a densely populated neighborhood or even a typical suburb your router may be getting interference from another router set on the same channel.