Connection to other Mac requires no credentials?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard13, Mar 12, 2011.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac and a MBP in my home. Both are on my wireless network provided by my Time Capsule. All my data is on my iMac so when I want something I connect to it from my MBP via Finder. I have the same user name and password on both computers.

Sometimes when I try to connect it doesn't ask for my credentials. The connection works sometimes but at other times it fails and I am prompted for a password on the 2nd attempt.

So I'm left wondering why doesn't it ask for credentials every time? When it does connect without prompting for credentials who is it connecting as? I'm concerned this is a security issue.

Anyone know what's going on here?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Likely, the times it's not asking for those credentials are close to another time where it did, so the connection authorization hasn't timed out yet, or your Mac is remembering the previous credentials if you checked the box telling it to.

3. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, it seems I should have looked a little more closely to "connect as" which shows it is connecting as my mobile me account. I am guessing that since I have "Back to My Mac" turned on it attempts to connect that way first. On the occasions where it fails it prompts me for my local account password and then connects as that user instead.