Connection to TV

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dndandrea, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

When I had my MacBook Pro I used to store a lot of movies on it. I used a mini display to hdmi port to connect it up to my TV for full quality video. Now I understand the iPad does 720p only? Or is that only if you do AirPlay? My main question is whats the best route to go to connect the iPad to tv for highest quality video? The only 2 routes I know is spend $100 for apple tv and do AirPlay or use a cable.

btw I have a 1080p tv. My plan is to transfer movies from a Mac Mini to the iPad and use the ipad to hook it up to any tv in the house or at a friends.

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I use PLEX to stream movie and tv shows from computer to IOS and Android devices.

You can setup a Plex server on your mac mini to stream to your ipad use IOS Plex app. This can be done on local wifi network (your house), remote wifi network (your friends house) or even 3G.

All you need than is to buy the ipad HDMI adapter and connect it to your friend's TV to mirror the video.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Is it an iPad 1 or iPad 2? iOS 5 will enable 1080p output for the iPad 2. The iPad 1 will only ever do 720p out I believe; I'm not sure if any third party apps allow you to drive 1080p video on it.

4. Dimmick macrumors member

Dimmick

If you have an iPad 2, I would get a refurb Apple TV ($85) and then mirror wirelessly your iPad screen when iOS 5 comes out. If you have an iPad 1, you won't be able to mirror wirelessly with iOS5, but you will be able to AirPlay movies to your TV as you can now.

You can also get the connector if you want to be leashed to your TV like that. That will mirror your iPad 1 or 2.

5. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 2. so both AirPlay and the cable will give same quality or is one of them better?

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Same. The iPad by default outputs at 1024x768. If you're using Netflix or playing a game like Real Racing 2 HD, the resolution could be as high as 1920x1080 (1080p) since the iPad does support output up to 1080p. It's basically up to the app to determine what res your iPad will output.