Connections from my Mac Mini drop to my Windows PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skarkroe, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Skarkroe macrumors newbie

I have OSX 10.6 and Windows 7.

Here's what happens:

1. I connect to the Windows machine (MCE) and use login credentials to do so.
    2. I browse to the folder on MCE I want to copy to.
    3. I drag a folder from my Mac containing a 1Gb+ file.
    4. The file begins to copy and a good rate.
    5. About 1/3 of the way into the transfer the files that appeared in the MCE folder disappear (from the view on the Mac) but the copy continues.
    6. After the copy reaches 100% I get this error: The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "NAME OF FOLDER" can't be read or written. Error code - 36

Then, I can't connect to MCE again until I restart my Mac.

I can copy large files all day to the Mac from MCE computer and from other Windows PC's to MCE without error. It just seems to be from my Mac to MCE.

Thoughts?

If a video would help, let me know and I'll screen cap it.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have had this happen a lot when copying from OS X to SMB shares on my NAS drives. It got so annoying I finally got a firewire external drive and would copy the files there first and then copy them to the NAS. Then it stopped happening. I had a number of theories. In my situation, the copy always involved hundreds or thousands of files. I speculated that there was some timing issue. Windows uses file locking. This means that if I create a file with one process, I cannot write to it with another process until the first process closes the file.

Unfortunately your situation seems different. 1/3 of the file shouldn't make it over if my theory were true. But perhaps your attention is being misdirected. Is there really a 1 GB file or are there thousands of little files? It could be that OS X is creating thousands of 0 length files and then writing to them one by one as the copy progresses. Somewhere around 1/3 of the way through, the timing glitch pops up and OS X tries to write to a file that Windows thinks is locked.

Here are some things to try. If you were connecting to the windows server by name, try connecting by ip address. In finder, pick go->connect to server and then type smb:ip address of your pc. Do this every time the connection drops. Also try copying only a few files at a time and keep increasing until this happens.

3. Skarkroe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll try the IP address method. I should have added this before, I'm certain there's only on file as it's a common process. When I get a movie, I rip it and put it on my MCE machine for sharing around the house. So the folder contains only the mp4 created by Handbrake.

I'll update after I try the IP instead of name. Thanks again!