Connectivity, adapters, transfer cable, monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by likegadgets, Oct 27, 2016.

1. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Now that I ordered the new MBP 15" 2016 - I have some connectivity of questions:

1) Need to transfer about 1TB from older MBP late 2012 - best way used to be thunderbolt cable - what cable would be best (fastest) to transfer to the new machine?

2) The MBP 2012 is driving two external monitors. An Apple display (display port) connected to one of the thunderbolt ports and an iMac 27 in target mode connected to the other port.
    What do I need to connect these to the new 2016 MBP ?

3) Have multiple USB devices connected to the 2012 MBP via a USB 3.0 Dock - would a simple USB A to USB C adapter to connect the dock be sufficient?

4) In a remote office I connect the 2012 via HDMI - would an HDMI to USB C is all I need?

5) When traveling I need to read SD cards from my camera. Is there a recommended reader for USB C?

6) I see Belkin is coming out with a new thunderbolt 3 HUB - is that the preferred one for now?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. lbdesign macrumors member

lbdesign

Could I add to this: is anyone aware of breakaway USB C power cables for use with the new batch of Macbook Pros, so we can charge them without fear of destroying a port or yanking the laptop onto the floor, like in pre-magsafe days? Thx.

3. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Brea...18409&sr=8-1&keywords=griffin+usb-c+breakaway

Not sure if the power specifications are up to the MacBook Pro though...

4. lbdesign macrumors member

lbdesign

Thanks! I searched and found the Apple tech specs say the power adapter is "87W USB-C Power Adapter", but maybe Griffin (or someone) will come out with a cable rated for more power.