Connectivity is making me mental!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haumana, Dec 20, 2008.

1. haumana macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro, just bought it in June. I've been having wireless connectivity issues. The airport will tell me that I'm connected, but if I go deeper into configuration it tells me that it could not obtain an IP address. At first I thought it was my router, but all the other wireless stuff seems to tap into the internet just fine.

Then I noticed that if I fire up Fusion, Windows picks-up on the internet just fine, and after that so will with the Mac side. What's going on with this? It used to happen every once in a while, now it happens each and every time I shutdown and start up. :mad:

Would I be better off assigning it a static IP? I know that I'm not the only one that has this issue, a few other friends and family members are having the same problem and we are all totally stumped.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm running Leopard, Fusion w/Windows XP, Linksys WRT160Nv2.

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

It seems many people posting exotic issues have Windows installed. I have a pure OS X machine and have never had any issue like this.

3. haumana thread starter macrumors member

Actually it started to do this and I thought having Fusion w/XP was causing the problem so I completely reformatted and reinstalled OS X. Still had the problem. At the moment, running XP in Fusion almost seems the only way to fix this - but that is not an acceptable workaround for me.

4. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I see no possible explanation on how a Windows installation on a seperate partition could possibly affect OSX.

5. haumana thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking too. But quite honestly, opening up windows in Fusion is the only way that I can get the Mac side to wireless to work. It's such a strange thing. :(

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

have all the updates been installed for OS X?

7. haumana thread starter macrumors member

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

9. haumana thread starter macrumors member

10. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Do you have a hidden SSID that you type in manually?

I've had issues with that in the past.

11. haumana thread starter macrumors member

12. kennyli macrumors regular

Same problem is happening to my PowerBook G4 too!

I have to click the Airport icon and than select "Join Other Network". Than, input the router name, password again manually!

Try it and see it works or not!

13. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Try opening you web browser, type 192.168.1.1, enter your password, go to wireless settings or alike, then to advanced, and try changing your SSID, choose WPA password, type in a custom one, chose SSID broadcasting, b,g,n available and then save the settings. Go to your router and press the little reset button. Go to your Mac and connect. That should work. If not, then I have no clue, contact Linksys or Apple.

14. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'd also try using an app like iStumbler to help set your router to a channel that's not in use by other routers.