Connectivity Qs for NON-LTE series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Lsg67, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Lsg67 macrumors newbie

Lsg67

Hi, I currently own both a series 1 and a series 2 apple watch, and I have a question about the non LTE series 3.

Currently on the 1 & 2, if you aren't near your phone and aren't connected to the same network you will not get any calls or notifications on the watch. And even if you ARE on the same network, I find that I can rarely get notifications and certainly can't send any, unless I'm close to the phone again.

But on the 3 LTE version, it says that if you leave your phone behind, you can connect to any previously used wifi to get notifications and perform wifi supported functions. :(

Is this also the case with the NON LTE version? I can't find this info anywhere. Everything focuses on the LTE version.

Given that this is a wifi connectivity feature, one would think a non LTE version would support it, but I've learned years ago not to assume. :p

Does anyone know?

2. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I recently saw a you tube video on this as I was also confused.

The video demonstrated with an AW3 that with the iPhone turned off, the watch could connect to a WiFi network (in this case a hotspot from a Galaxy S8) and make calls and receive texts.

This has always been my understanding, that if I have my watch, and left my phone a home, I could connect to a known WiFi hotspot (eg one that either has no restrictions, or one that I had previously connected to with my phone) and I could use my watch as if I still had my phone...eg calls, text, notifications etc)

3. Lsg67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lsg67

One would think it would work like that, but it's such a gray area.

I'm told that on the S1 and S2 that you must be connected to the same wifi network. But this does not work for me. I routinely leave my watch in the office while I go out on the floor (retail supervisor) and I will miss messages/calls even tho I'm connected to the same wifi. Same thing happens at home if I'm in the rear of my house, yet my phone is in my room.

I had to attend a meeting a few days ago. I stupidly left my phone at home, but I had my watch on. Even tho I routinely connect to the wifi at work, I didn't get any notifications until I pulled into my driveway at home. This was on an S1.

So I am super curious to know the details of how it works with the S3 vs S3 LTE.

Trying to decide if I want to upgrade, and if so if I'd really get that much use out of the LTE. If the S3 can truly hand off to a wifi network then I really don't need the LTE as I don't run, etc.

:confused:

4. mk313 macrumors 6502a

It might have to do with if your carrier supports the service but I can confirm that it works with sprint on any network. If my phone is at home and I am at work but connect to WiFi on my watch, I will get messages, phone calls, etc through the watch. I’ve used it a handful of times and it works great. This is on a series 2 Watch.

5. Lsg67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lsg67

I have AT&T. I’ve tried it with a series 2, and had no better luck (I have both). I wouldn’t think it would be a carrier thing if it’s wifi.

So confused. Lol

6. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what the difference is but it definitely works with sprint.

7. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Sadly, I just tested this with my fiancé’s S3 (non LTE). We turned her phone off. Her watch status changed to show that she was connected to WiFi (our home network). I tried sending her a text, nothing arrived. I tried calling her, it went straight to voicemail. She is on Verizon.

So basically, it doesn’t work the way that we had understood .

Makes you wonder why it connects to WiFi if it can’t actually use it??

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

For what seems like the 1000th time, SMS/MMS text messaging requires that your synced smartphone must be powered on so SMS/MMS messages may be forwarded to your watch. iMessage must be enabled and your smartphone must be connected to the Cellular network via either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. If using a Wi-Fi connection, your smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated.

Dave

9. Lsg67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lsg67

I’m not talking about cellular OR turning my phone off.

I left my phone at home by accident and it would NOT relay imessage via a known WiFi at work even tho the phone was on at home.

I got nothing until I pulled into my driveway and the watch connected to my phone again.

Same thing happens at work when I’m too far away from my phone.

Super frustrating.