iPad Pro Connectivity with MBP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonHB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. JasonHB macrumors regular

Hi, not sure which forum to post this in, but I thought that I would start in this one and see where we go from here.

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro and just purchased a mid 2015 MBP. I previously had a mid 2010 MBP and was using Duet to share the screen with the iPad. This worked very well but was a little laggy and someone suggested that it was perhaps a limitation with the slow USB speed on my old MBP.

Now, my new machine has USB3.0 ports on it and I know that the iPad Pro supports USB3.0 via it's lightning connector. I thought that this would be a good thing and might improve the performance of Duet.

However, when I tried to find a lighting to USB3.0 cable, I found that they don't exist and I don't understand why. I realise that it wouldn't be the most poplular cable in the world, but I thought that at least Apple would make one.

So, in the absence of that, I already have the lighting to USB3 camera adaptor and I was wondering if I purchased a USB3 cable (type A to type A) and used the camera adaptor as well, would this then work as a fully functioning USB3.0 interface between the MBP and the iPad Pro.

Thanks in advance

Jason

2. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Y
    Yes that should provide full USB 3.0 speed

3. JasonHB thread starter macrumors regular

Using the camera adaptor to Concetta the iPad Pro to my MBP doesn't work at all, the MBP doesn't see any device connected.

I guess it's just not possible to connect the iPad using USB3.0

Jason