Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ConnectSense, known for its line of HomeKit-enabled home automation products, today announced the launch of its new Smart In-Wall Outlet.

The Smart In-Wall Outlet is HomeKit-compatible and allows accessories that are plugged in to it to be controlled with Siri voice commands and the Home app. Precise power monitoring is also included, so you can see how much power an electronic or an appliance is using with real-time voltage data available.

connectsensehomekitoutlet-800x544.jpg

Each outlet can be controlled individually and remotely, which means power can be shut off when a device isn't in use to save energy.

ConnectSense's Smart In-Wall Outlet connects to a home's WiFi setup, and it has built-in capacitive touch buttons. Built-in plug detection senses when an item is plugged in, and the buttons can be locked when the outlet isn't in use, for childproofing purposes.

There are 15 Amp and 20 Amp options, and ConnectSense says that the Smart In-Wall Outlet is easy to install and operate both in homes and in professional environments like office buildings and airports.

The ConnectSense Smart In-Wall Outlet is priced at $79 and $99 for the 15A and 20A options, respectively, and can be purchased starting today from the ConnectSense website.

Article Link: ConnectSense Launches HomeKit-Enabled Smart In-Wall Outlet

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I hope in the future, you will be able to setup the device so that during "off" times, it will cut the power to your devices, to limit the amount of draw when not in use. I am interested in this, but the price is a bit steep... eeek.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I've installed over 2 dozen smart switches and some USB outlets in my home, but I haven't yet found the need for a smart outlet. I've a handful of smart plugs which are just like a smart outlet except they can be easily moved from one place to another as needs change. They work well for the Christmas Tree for part of the year, the fish tank and filter, an outdoor fan...but the smart plug is generally plugged into a surge protector...not directly into the wall. In most cases I wouldn't want the entire outlet disabled/enabled.

The energy monitoring is more interesting to me, but not at $79 - $99 per outlet. They don't even have USB ports.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
I have 4 of the iDevice outlets (like this) and they work great. Bought 2 more during black friday ($40 ea.) Each outlet plug can be controlled independently.

I believe Connect Sense announced this outlet almost 2 years ago and is now barely released...not sure about Connect Sense.

krusnof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Topanga, CA
I've installed over 2 dozen smart switches and some USB outlets in my home, but I haven't yet found the need for a smart outlet. I've a handful of smart plugs which are just like a smart outlet except they can be easily moved from one place to another as needs change. They work well for the Christmas Tree for part of the year, the fish tank and filter, an outdoor fan...but the smart plug is generally plugged into a surge protector...not directly into the wall. In most cases I wouldn't want the entire outlet disabled/enabled.

The energy monitoring is more interesting to me, but not at $79 - $99 per outlet. They don't even have USB ports.
Question since you may know. What I would like to use it for, but not sure if it can is: plug in lamp with a LED dimmable Edison bulb and then use HomeKit to control dimming? Is that possible over using a Hue lightbulb? Disregard price etc, just interesting in if the functionality is possible. Thank you

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
The only advantage these have over a smart plug, is that they have a "cleaner" look. Personally, I can't think of a situation where that matters. I use smart plugs for basic things, like shop lights in my basement and garage. They look fine in those areas. I have another one that I move around the house, depending on the time of year. This doesn't do anything that a smart plug can't do. You're paying for the look. But, it's one of those things that I can't even think of a situation where it would be cool to have.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I'm very interested in these as a good way to control almost all non-"smart" appliances and other applications. I understand why they're relatively expensive, especially since they are autonomous homekit devices, not requiring a hub or repeater. I also understand why they don't put in USB charging ports as someone else suggested... tying a permanent fixture to a dated standard seems a bad idea to me.

However, these are still priced about double what they'd need to be to get me seriously interested in replacing many outlets around the house. Wish I would've known about that $40 iDevices outlet black friday deal.

Reactions: PastaPrimav

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Question since you may know. What I would like to use it for, but not sure if it can is: plug in lamp with a LED dimmable Edison bulb and then use HomeKit to control dimming? Is that possible over using a Hue lightbulb? Disregard price etc, just interesting in if the functionality is possible. Thank you
Pretty sure these are not dimmable. Just on/off.

Reactions: krusnof

amjustice

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Naperville, IL
Wasn’t sure if HomeKit could somehow control that separately. That would be nice.

Correct they are not dimmable
[automerge]1575996937[/automerge]
For those who have price concerns, we do offer full bundles which bring down the price considerably if you are buying multiple units.

https://iot.connectsense.com/collections/bundles

Other then that I will say quality comes at a price. We are offering considerably more features then comparable other products and a great experience. I would recommend you check it out even with just one outlet to start and you will see the value. Plus if you automate something with a considerable power draw it pays for itself!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
No need for these to be so expensive. They are less convenient to a smart plug you can move from any outlet you want. You have to hard wire them and fixed for one outlet.
My new favorite smart plugs are the ikea ones. You can get a little on off switch you can mount anywhere you want and connect it too. They work better than my iHome smart plugs that seem to lose connection on and off over months.
They are also 10$. Yes, 10 bucks. you can buy 8-10 smart outlets for the price of one of these...

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
plug in lamp with a LED dimmable Edison bulb and then use HomeKit to control dimming?
Your best bet for this scenario is indeed Philips Hue.
A plug-in lamp is different from a direct-wire light fixture.

In my home I have several Leviton Decora Smart Dimmers/Switches that have replaced pre-existing wall switches for fans and light fixtures. With these, I can put any dimmable bulb I want into the light fixture, and control the On/Off/Dim from HomeKit. This is because it is the same as any non-smart wall switch dimmer...just that its now smart, and HomeKit compatible.

A lamp plugged into an outlet is completely different. You cannot "dim" the power going to the outlet or coming out of the outlet (which wouldn't be equivalent to a Dimmer anyway). It is just on or off.

Even if it were a switched outlet and you replace the wall switch with a smart switch, it would still be only ON/OFF control of the outlet. Same as if you installed a Smart Outlet (like the OP) or used a Smart Plug. All of these myriad of options still just result in ON/OFF control.

Phillips Hue bulbs are independently accessed. While the power is on, you can access the bulb itself and dim it. That would be the only way to Dim a bulb inside a plug-in lamp, from HomeKit.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Lutron Caseta offers plug in dimmers if you want to be able to dim an existing lamp. And you can move the dimmer to any outlet you want ... no wiring required. About $50 per dimmer. I own a few a they have been flawless.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.