Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvertech

macrumors member
May 30, 2016
the Internet of Things has long past reached the point of self parody
What? How? These things are crazy useful
[doublepost=1544410575][/doublepost]
Smart homes are a fragmented mess. And if I need to choose between HomeKit devices that are far more expensive and rare, or others that support more platforms, I choose the latter. Also, HomeKit has so many bugs and is too unreliable. Apple has a nice ecosystem of its own hardware, but if it remains too closed, they will eventially be passed by Google and Amazon.
Lol. I find this pretty funny honestly. Theres over 200 HomeKit accessories. Plus Apple has privacy and safety over other IoT products which are extremely susceptible to DDOS attacks as we saw early last year.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why would they invest in something that's obviously gonna have low revenue?
They'll just invest their money elsewhere.
Because you would install them in every outlet and switch in new home construction and sell them to people who are handy and want to upgrade or have a contractor install them. It would take them from luxury to a mainstream common thing to have and not just on certain outlets but every single outlet and switch.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
What? How? These things are crazy useful
[doublepost=1544410575][/doublepost]
Lol. I find this pretty funny honestly. Theres over 200 HomeKit accessories. Plus Apple has privacy and safety over other IoT products which are extremely susceptible to DDOS attacks as we saw early last year.

Nothing funny about it. For the majority of people, Alexa is an instant purchase. HomePod and iOS devices not so much. Most people don’t care about privacy. Especially if that means fewer features. Compare Alexa and Siri. Also, HomeKit is very unreliable and has some glaring bugs Apple can’t seem to be bothered to fix. If Google and Amazon continue innovating so fast, then there’s one less reason to stay in Apple’s garden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.