Conneting iMac display to MacBook Pro (tdm) using Boot Camp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Simennzz, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Simennzz macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (2011, so target display mode) and an iMac (2013 i think) which has, and they are both running Win7 through BootCamp.

So I have a thunderbolt cable and connected it, and since the MacBook Pro doesnt have thundebolt, im not able to use it as a second monitor.

Is there any like juke around this or a program I can use to make it possible?

2. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

So just for clarification sake:

Are you trying to use TDM with the iMac running Windows 7 at the time with the MBP?

If the MBP does not have a Thunderbolt port, you can't use TDM (from my understanding). What you can do is use something like VNC or Windows Remote Desktop and remote into them. Otherwise, your statement is a little confusing in what machine is running what and how you're trying to access them.

3. Simennzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sorry, english isnt my first language.

I want to use the MacBook Pro as a second monitor to the iMac. I first tried with thunderbolt, which I found out later wasnt supported.

The main reason is to use the MacBook Pro as a streaming machine for whats going on at the iMac.

4. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Take a look at ScreenRecycler. It might work. It's basically VNC screen sharing, but optimized so that the second computer acts more as an extended, not mirrored, monitor. It works Mac to PC; but might work Mac to Mac in bootcamp. But I'm not sure since I only used it with a virtual windows machine to Mac.

6. Simennzz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried windows remote and VNC but when im ingame streaming its just lags like hell (works fine anyways). I'll try that one aswell.

- I find it kindof annoying that its should be so hard just connecting two computers with a cable.