"Connetion Timeout" on Macbook when trying to connect to new router?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by charlottes, Mar 19, 2009.

1. charlottes macrumors newbie

I got a new Zoom x6 router a few weeks ago (combined modem and router) and it works fine on my desktop but recently the connection on my macbook is HORRIBLE. It goes slow and disconnects a lot. Today I set a password to the router and when i try to connect to the macbook i type in the password (correctly) and it says "connection timeout" so now it wont connect at all. is there anyway to fix this?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried moving closer to the router, changing the broadcast channel and such to try to alleviate any possible interference?

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I was thinking even to just reset the router. My 2Wire got screwy before and I just reset it and everything worked fine.. Worth a shot I guess

4. charlottes thread starter macrumors newbie

ive been sitting right next to the router and it makes no difference. im not sure how to change the broadcast channel?
    the connection works if i connect to the ethernet cable if that makes any difference

5. charlottes thread starter macrumors newbie

yeppp ive tried multiple times

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Now thats something that should have been in your original post dont ya think??

7. charlottes thread starter macrumors newbie

lol yuup probably.. forgot to put that in there

8. charlottes thread starter macrumors newbie

i called the router company and had me change the encryption from WEP-64 to WPA. the guy said that macs usually dont work if its higher than that for some reason but the problems finally fixed