Conroe Chips are coming soon (April)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by carlos700, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. carlos700 macrumors regular


    Dec 17, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    Conroe chips will be coming out fall: (source:
    Edit: 3.6GHz Intel Pentium D 960 in April.

    E6700 @ 2.67GHz, 2x2MB L2, 1066MHz FSB

    E6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2x2MB L2, 1066MHz FSB

    E6400 @ 2.13GHz, 2x1Mb L2, 1066MHz FSB

    E6300 @ 1.86GHz, 2x1MB L2, 1066MHz FSB


    Undisclosed Asian sources have leaked the following information about the upcoming Merom processors:

    All Merom's will use a 667MHz FSB and an FCPGA6 socket

    T5600 single core, 1.83GHz, 2Mb L2 cache

    T7200 dual core, 2GHz, 2x2Mb L2 caches

    T7400 dual core, 2.16GHz, 2x2Mb L2 caches

    T7600 dual core, 2.33GHz, 2x2Mb L2 caches
  2. ieani macrumors 6502a


    Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    So soon?
  3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816


    Dec 24, 2005
    doubt it will be so soon. wasn't merom scheduled to be released before conroe at the last intel press conference (don't quote me)? merom in june sometime and conroe is august?
  4. carlos700 thread starter macrumors regular


    Dec 17, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    Who knows if this is accurate, it's just what I found on a website I personally find reliable. They have great reviews on the latest hardware as well.

    On a different note, I would love a [Power Mac] with a dual-core 2.6GHz Conroe and ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512MB
  5. t^3 macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2001
    The 'release dates' that is referring to are actually planned price drops for current processors. If you read the original articles that they link to, Conroe and Merom are still scheduled for this fall.
  6. Peyton macrumors 68000


    Feb 2, 2006
    OK, Merom is what I'm waiting for. 17inch MBP. Why 667mhz FSB? Couldn't they bump that up at all?

    Does anyone know, or can speculate on hard drive size?

    ideally I'd want a blueray burner but I can't see it happening til rev b.

    Also ram, anyone know how much I'll inevitably want to pay for?

    Is there any rumors for a larger MBP? Say 19 or 20 inch?

  7. t^3 macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2001
    The current 945 mobile chipset won't support a faster FSB, even if Merom could do it. Look for a new chipset supporting 800MHz next year plus goodies like 802.11n. Hard drives are currently topping out at 160GB right now, and I really can't see Blu-ray or HD-DVD drives until the last half of next year at the earliest. They're just too expensive, bulky, and they haven't even decided on which will be the industry standard. For the kind of progress that needs to be made for it to fit into a MBP while not being extraordinarily expensive would take at least a year and a half.

    As far as a bigger MBP past 17", there hasn't been anything yet, but I'll speculate this: There are rumors that the 12" PB will be dropped (meaning no 12" MBP), so this might create a hole for a new size MBP. But I still think it's really not likely because really, in spite of all the technological advancements today, the cost of a 19" laptop will be very high ($4000+, Google for AJP's 19 inch laptop), and it will have to be thick to support that big of a screen.
  8. Peyton macrumors 68000


    Feb 2, 2006
    Wow ajp huh? That thing is a beast! Thanks a lot!

    And thanks for the info, I love hearing the progress, but it makes me want to wait for the 'next best thing' even though the merom's haven't come out! I guess it will alwyas be that way.

  9. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

    Jan 31, 2006
    Is the XTX the best out of all the X1900's? If so, then I want what you want too.
  10. t^3 macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2001
    For now, yes. But who knows, by the time Conroe comes out, there could be X2800 XTX 1GB cards.
  11. EGT macrumors 68000


    Sep 4, 2003

    I'll take that 2.16GHz I think. :D I'm gonna be so broke. :(
  12. Xnet macrumors member

    Jun 26, 2003
    Conroe in July 06

    Intel will push up the launch of its desktop Conroe CPU and delay the debut of its 965-series chipset so that both will hit the market at the same time in July 2006 in a demand-boosting strategy, according to sources at motherboard makers in Taiwan.

    Intel declined to comment.
  13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030


    Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Interesting. I had heard higher clock frequencies. These numbers actually make somewhat more sense to me :)
  14. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

    Jan 31, 2006
    Was that supposed to be joke? There's no way they'll have anything higher than the X1900 when Conroe comes out. The X1900 is groundbreaking right now. It's the newest thing out there. You think they'd have a X2800?? haha.
  15. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Perhaps even a X6666 XT, just in time for Christmas '06 :p
  16. t^3 macrumors regular

    Oct 17, 2001
    Conroe is about half a year away, and ATI & NVIDIA have on average released new cards about every half year. Starting with the X800 series, there's been 1 refresh before the introduction of a new series (X800->X850, then X1800->X1900). So, by my estimate, sometime later this year, we'll see the next series of ATI cards. They did release the X1900 only like 3 months after the X1800, but the X1800 was long overdue while the X1900 was still on track. As far as the name, take a look at the trend:


    'X' just refers to 10, so X1 is 11. Only makes sense that the next one will be X2800.

Share This Page