Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Reality is iPhone 6 series is just catching up to old Android phones like the 2012 Galaxy Note II that typically gets two days of use and up to six days of idle time and there are newer Android phones that easily surpass that like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

I've heard that the Sony Xperia is good, but I find the UI pretty ugly. Personally, without paying attention to articles on the web, I have had better battery life on my iPhone 6 than the Galaxy Note 4. With that said, before I used my phone primarily for work, I used to root Android phones and squeeze out amazing battery life, but not so much without rooting.

MACelmore

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Can a current Android user tell me how they send videos and multiple pictures through text?

I sometimes have a problem going from iMessage to Android, so I want to know what it's like going from Android to Android or Android to iMessage.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Can a current Android user tell me how they send videos and multiple pictures through text?

I sometimes have a problem going from iMessage to Android, so I want to know what it's like going from Android to Android or Android to iMessage.

I personally use WhatsApp, its the most popular IM here anyway so EVERYONE I know uses it, my family, friends and colleagues.

MACelmore

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I personally use WhatsApp, its the most popular IM here anyway so EVERYONE I know uses it, my family, friends and colleagues.

I just went through my text messages, and I'd say about 75% of my contacts have iPhones, which is perhaps why they don't have WhatsApp (that I know of). I want to get rid of this 6+, but the messaging is such a big factor in what I want out of my phone. :confused:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Have you tried Google Messenger? I have sent multiple pics and video simultaneously with this app.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 87

MACelmore

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Have you tried Google Messenger? I have sent multiple pics and video simultaneously with this app.

Thanks! I'm still on iPhone, but am seriously thinking about either the S6 or M9, or waiting for the Note 5. I'm just weighing my options, and needed to know things like this to make an informed decision. That's not the standard text client, right? It's an app that you download.... Mainly for MMS? And then use the standard client for SMS? Or do you just use that for all of your SMS and MMS needs?

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I just went through my text messages, and I'd say about 75% of my contacts have iPhones, which is perhaps why they don't have WhatsApp (that I know of). I want to get rid of this 6+, but the messaging is such a big factor in what I want out of my phone. :confused:

In the same boat. I have a 6+ that I actually do enjoy using. It is a great device but I also have a Droid Turbo that is also REALLY good and I'm tied up pretty deep in Google. However, my dads side of the family is all iPhone (I'm guessing 16 of them) and we all stay in touch for the most part. Group conversations, sending video, and multiple images. That would never work sending over MMS. The chances of getting them all on Google Messenger or putting things in Google+ is not an option so I'm kinda stuck for now. My 3 kids have iPods and it's nice to have them send me a picture or whatever when they spend the night with friends or family. So iMessage is huge for me and it's definitely a deal breaker in my situation.

Regarding the Google Messenger it can act as both SMS and MMS, however, I don't think it is similar to iMessage where you can use it over wifi. I believe you need a cellular connection (i.e. you couldn't install it on an android tablet and use it to send messages) for Messenger to work. Google Hangouts uses data and I'm not sure why Google didn't develop that instead of coming out with yet another messaging app (Google Messenger). It's pretty sloppy to be completely honest. I don't like to use one app for one thing and another for something else but that is just me. If I had to pick one I would use Textra for everything but you lose the video and multiple messages over data. Textra will compress everything and send it as an MMS. I don't think Google will ever have a match for iMessage. Google Messenger is close but being able to set default messaging apps not everyone is going to use it, especially the ones that want more customization out of their apps. Google Messenger, Hangouts, Textra, Verizon Plus, 8sms, Handcent, Chomp, just to name a few that you could use for SMS/MMS (there are so many more options along with these). That is a great thing about Android, but it also could be a downfall because not everyone is going to use Google's solution. Most skins (HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, Moto) all have their own messaging apps pre-installed so there again lies a problem with everyone using Google's apps.

If I'm wrong or an update changed Google Messenger please correct me

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Thi is why I have used the present, there are no Droids, and it was a Verizon trademark for some smartphones.

Just because the term is no longer used, does not cause devices which bear that name to suddenly not exist, does it? Droids still exist, even to this day.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Just because the term is no longer used, does not cause devices which bear that name to suddenly not exist, does it? Droids still exist, even to this day.

Then, to be precise, I will have to change my post to say that droid is not a synonym of Android, it is only related to some specific Android devices sold by Verizon

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Besides Apple's ecosystem, I can't think of anything major that's a con about switching to Android. I would say the biggest pro and con is choice. Choose the right device and it's worth it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Looking back, it seems iOS5 was probably the most important iOS update for Apple. Not visually like iOS7 but important nonetheless. Following up the iTunes "chained" to their ecosystem, they introduced iMessage and iCloud. A couple more ways to get forced into staying with iOS forever.

If you can't live without iMessage, stick to iOS. But there are alot of pros that can outweigh iMessage if you move to Android. You just need to find out and make that decision yourself.

Palladium SG

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
I've heard that the Sony Xperia is good, but I find the UI pretty ugly. Personally, without paying attention to articles on the web, I have had better battery life on my iPhone 6 than the Galaxy Note 4. With that said, before I used my phone primarily for work, I used to root Android phones and squeeze out amazing battery life, but not so much without rooting.

IMO most people who want Android are really better off with cheap Xiaomi or Moto G that are free from bloat than expensive flagships that are filled to the brim with manufacturer or carrier bloatware that drains battery life like no tomorrow. Software optimization is a ton more important than having bleeding edge hardware than in Android land.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
IMO most people who want Android are really better off with cheap Xiaomi or Moto G that are free from bloat than expensive flagships that are filled to the brim with manufacturer or carrier bloatware that drains battery life like no tomorrow. Software optimization is a ton more important than having bleeding edge hardware than in Android land.
What flagship phones are you referring to where the bloatware drains the battery? I know it's not the Note 4. My Note 4 often lasts two days with five hours screen time.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Well, I'm using iPhone 6 as my main device right now. But I installed the latest Android 5.0 on my HTC one m8 and I gotta say it's pretty sweet. Almost made me to get back using my HTC as my main device.

Personally I just find iOS and Apple's ecosystem more refined in overall. Thats the reason I keep switching back.

Palladium SG

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
What flagship phones are you referring to where the bloatware drains the battery? I know it's not the Note 4. My Note 4 often lasts two days with five hours screen time.

My Note 3 had terrible battery life with Kitkat and this was just the stock Samsung software without any carrier bloat. When I got my Xiaomi that cost 1/4 as much I was astounded by how much battery life I got from it and was no less smooth in everything except synthetic benchmarks and heavy 3D games. Far more impressive IMO considering the price.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I have been using a Sony Xperia for a little more than a year now. I did not upgrade the firmware. No need. I works. No problems at all. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It lasts a few days. All functions are turned on when they are needed. If not used, they are off. It runs even my car navigation software flawlessly.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013

Bs, my note 4 barely made it a full day and I didn't use it a lot. Now with my iPhone 6 plus, it kills the note 4 in battery life.

Also, my note lagged bad and that is a common problem on it. Android forums and android central is proof of that.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Bs, my note 4 barely made it a full day and I didn't use it a lot. Now with my iPhone 6 plus, it kills the note 4 in battery life.

Also, my note lagged bad and that is a common problem on it. Android forums and android central is proof of that.

BS? Really? You have no idea what you are talking about. Because YOU couldn't get more than a day out of your battery, you think it's impossible for anyone else to get more than a day? Lag is not a common problem. You may have had it but that doesn't mean everyone had it.

My Note 4 continuously gets the same battery life as my 6+. There was something wrong with your Note 4 if it didn't make it a full day. The battery life is something people are always impressed with.

This is my Note Edge. same exact phone. I posted the cap from it because it's impossible to lie about what screen cap it is really from.

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 89

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Here's a screen cap from my Note 4/ Pretty impressive.

The second one is from today. The second cap is while connected to my Gear S watch through Bluetooth and I'm using the phone as a remote for my TV.

You really need to go to Android Central and do some reading. Most people say it has some of the best battery life ever. There will always be some people who have poor battery life just like with the iPhone. There is a current post on imore about that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-31-01-35-43.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-31-01-35-43.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_2015-03-01-07-24-36.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-01-07-24-36.png
    326.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
...You really need to go to Android Central and do some reading.... There will always be some people who have poor battery life...

It is absolutely true. Some weeks ago I had a chat about this matter and told that keeping functions on all the time evidently has a negative effect on battery life. I never have WiFi, 3G, BT, Location Servise permanently on. I have all of them off. Each and every of those functons is turned on only when needed, i.e. checking e-mails or data on the net - WiFi/3G on, when finished it is turned off; using GPS - Location Services is on, finished turned off etc.
And I use all of these functions on daily basis, just turn them off when not needed. I was asked a question: "Why do you have a smartphone if you keep those functions off?"
My answer was very simple, in unison with the above written, those functions are turned on when I actually need them.
It is not a compromise, just common sense. This way my phone runs days.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It is absolutely true. Some weeks ago I had a chat about this matter and told that keeping functions on all the time evidently has a negative effect on battery life. I never have WiFi, 3G, BT, Location Servise permanently on. I have all of them off. Each and every of those functons is turned on only when needed, i.e. checking e-mails or data on the net - /WiFi3G on, when finished it is turned off; using GPS - Location Services is on, finished turned off etc.
And I use all of these functions on daily basis, just turn them off when not needed. I was asked a question: "Why do you have a smartphone if you keep those functions off?"
My answer was very simple, in unison with the above written, those functions are turned on when I actually need them.
It is not a compromise, just common sense. This way my phone runs days.
I never turn any of those off and easily get between 4-5 hrs usage and over 1 day of standby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.