Consensual/legal wireless network piggybacking?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dry Rot, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dry Rot macrumors member

OK, most of us have piggybacked on an open wireless network, but what about consensual/legal piggybacking?

My friend lives in an apartment, with a secure password protected wireless network of his own. A neighbour upstairs who doesn't want to pay for a phone line to get ADSL has approached him asking to be able to connect to his network permanently, in return for paying part of his monthly net costs. He thinks this is a bit odd.

How widespread is this i.e. people in apartment blocks agreeing to let neighbours use their own wireless networks?

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My main concern (assuming it's legal to do this where he lives, which I know nothing about) would be what the person used it for. What if that person is part of some illegal activity where Internet use is involved, and gets caught? Will it be easy to prove who was up/downloading what? You don't want to be put in a position where you're responsible for someone else's illegal activities.

I would therefore check out not only whether or not it's legal to share a service for profit in that way (he no doubt has a contract with his ISP that includes something about this), and also how the person who owns the subscription can protect himself legally (via a contract with the person sharing his connection). In the end, I doubt it's worth it. There's very little in it for him compared to the possible ramifications if something goes wrong.

Disclaimer: My opinion is off-the-cuff; I don't have any legal knowledge of the issues involved, and I've never shared a connection with anyone.