Consensus estimate USB 3.0 in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmaute, Jul 31, 2009.

1. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Hey all,

What's the consensus USB 3.0 adoption timeframe in Mac Book Pros? I'll be buying my next MBP to coincide with this release. Thanks...

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

You'll wait a long time

See you in a couple of years, if ever. Not only do you need USB 3, you need peripherals that will take advantage of it. What is that you are doing that you need to wait for that sort of feature? Firewire 800 is great for external drives and runs HD video uncompressed So what else is there that needs that kind of bandwidth? Odd post

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Quick questions: When USB 3.0 comes out will I be able to use my USB 2.0 gadgets with it?

ChrisN

4. MrPeanut macrumors regular

When apple start doing ipods/iphones/ipod touches with USB 3.0, if its backwards compatible with USB 2.0 that probably not that far off, but then again, how long has it taken apple to add a SD card slot to their macbooks?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

couple years? probably within the year

most hard drives will CONTINUE to be usb. most camcorders will CONTINUE to beusb

usb is the answer, not fw

6. Knolly macrumors 6502a

My guess/hope is 2010. Realistically I would say 2011 at the latest.

Agreed. The main reason for this, as well as the reason why firewire drives are always more expensive, is that firewire requires royalties for every device, whereas USB is free.

Yep!

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

USB 3 will be backwards compatible with USB 2 so that is not an issue. As soon as it hits the market, you'll start seeing peripherals that take advantage of it. A few at first, then a surge.

There are 2 terabyte time capsules in the Apple store now, a faster standard for transferring vast amounts of data will come in handy. You seriously think Apple would *never* adopt USB 3.0? Did you just get a new laptop?

As to the OP's question, I'm going to say early 2010 to early 2011. I'm certain we wont have to wait until 2012.