Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Hey everyone,

Do we have a consensus on whether or not the 1st gen iPad Mini can run iOS8 well?

I know there was some debate during the betas. Has anyone tested out the official release on their 1st gen mini and care to give an update?

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Seems fine to me.

I will note the one thing that does pester me is safari lags just a moment when opening a new tab. It's nothing major, but just a slight hesitation that wasn't there before. But otherwise, no real issues encountered.

Last edited:

FreakinSyco

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Seems fine to me.

I will note the one thing that does pester me is safari lags just a moment when opening a new tab. It's nothing major, but just a slight hesitation that wasn't there before. But otherwise, no real issues encountered.

I agree. It's just OK. Definitely slower but not enough to be too bothered. I'll say that the way safari scrolls and displays images and gifs without slowing is worth the upgrade itself.

But it does stutter here and there. Scrolling in the AppStore can be jerky. A pause here or there, like stated above when opening a tab or when long pressing to get the "open in new tab dialog"

----------

Also I was hoping for some of the added buttons the 6+ gets on the keyboard in landscape mode. Instead it's just the normal huge buttons.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Pages is unusable, horrendous lag in deleting letters and general ui operations under 8. I am thinking of downgrading to 7 because mini is my workhorse and i use pages all time.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Not happy about what I'm hearing. When I'm teaching, I have to log-in to iCloud.com on the classroom computer. There is no option to hook up my own computer to the projector. I got a message this evening that I MUST upgrade to iOS 8 to have access to my Cloud files. The Mini is my go-to device for editing presentations on the go. So, I either update to iOS 8 (and potentially turn it into a paper weight) or I keep it at iOS 7 and turn it into a toy.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It's still early days but performance seems about the same as in iOS 7. Some hesitation here and there.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
It's still early days but performance seems about the same as in iOS 7. Some hesitation here and there.

I really hope that's true! I didn't want to update to Cloud Drive without knowing if my Mini could handle iOS 8, but I needed to access my Keynote files on iCloud.com this evening, so I was left with no choice. Downloading update to Mini now and hoping that it doesn't end up being completely FUBAR.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Not bad so far on mine. Slight lag with rotation in Safari, and I'm not totally sure about this new word suggestion thing when typing.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Not bad so far on mine. Slight lag with rotation in Safari, and I'm not totally sure about this new word suggestion thing when typing.

I'm definitely not a fan of this word suggestion. I'm a fast typist, even with thumbs, and I find the flashing words a distraction. Maybe it will grow on me, but I don't see how. The in line autocorrect is fine with me, and glancing at words then clicking them seems inefficient.

Furthermore, I'm a bit spooked by the suggestions sometimes. Like I will start a word with a single letter and the options it comes up with are obviously based on my browsing history or previous typing at some point, but not at all related to what I'm typing at the moment. I just find it creepy, like its mining my data, but not in a helpful way, and therefore not a necessary way.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Far too slow for me. Slow to that annoying point where you think a finger tap hasn't been registered so you tap again, then it registers them both and slowly does something you don't want it to do.

I went back to 7 this evening. Best update ever! After 24 hours with 8 I can love my mini again.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Mine seems fine. Granted, I haven't spent as much time on it as I have on my IP5 getting everything running like I want it.

The IP5 does seem to lag when typing, I'm thinking that this could be an iOS8 issue, not a hardware issue. Thoughts??

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
It runs a little slower but it's not unusable. I remember when iOS5 came out for the 1st gen iPad. In the beginning, the keyboard lagged so much you couldn't even type anything. This is nothing like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.