Consensus on the fate of the CMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcbrandt13, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mcbrandt13 macrumors newbie

What's the consensus? Is the likelihood high of the Classic getting refreshed this fall, and then abandoned subsequently? Or does it seem like it's refresh days are done, and it'll remain as is until it's fully discontinued? What would they possibly upgrade with it? Chuck in a Haswell, maybe drop the price a tad, and call it a day?

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

I feel like they will drop the cMBP, but if they did update it I think they would upgrade:

SSD/HDD hybrid drive (Maybe)
    Haswell Processors
    802.11ac
    Intel Graphics 5000

Unfortunately, at this point the only difference between the cMBP and the rMBP would be the screen and that probably won't be enough of a difference to keep the cMBP. The MBA is probably the replacement for the cMBP.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not refreshed, stays as is until discontinued.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My guess is that they don't bump this up to Haswell and keep selling it for these short term

5. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Apple should just remove the superdrive so that a bigger battery can be placed and then give the cMBP a retina display? That would be the perfect Apple laptop for me and many others that upgrade their machines over the years as better 3rd-party components become available such as 2+ TB SSD's ( 1TB SSD's are affordable now already ).

The 15" rMBP = Quad Core 15" MBA, especially if Apple switches to integrated graphics.

Apple is going to kill the cMBP most likely in favour of disposable rMBP laptops :( ( the cMBP can be upgrade to Retina display with no problem if the Superdrive is removed and keep the tickness for user upgradable parts )

6. monokitty macrumors regular

That would make the current Retina MacBook Pro redundant and less desirable, meaning it'll never happen. The cMBP will be discontinued. The days of easily upgrading a Mac yourself after the fact are long, long over.

7. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

How so? They can exist alongside each other and people will then have a choice.

1. A thinner and lighter rMBP but it's not user replaceable
    2. A thicker (c)rMBP but it's user replaceable.

Option 2 would be my pick, but someone else might like option 1

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah but since when did apple give a choice, or two products existing within the same category. The only reason they still exist right now is because they're in the process of phasing them out. I think they'll definitely be gone this fall.

I'm surprised the iPhone 4 is still around. That thing is ancient. Looking forward to the refreshes this fall, it'll make the entire lineup a lot more modern

9. FullerJ macrumors newbie

Thats just it though, Apple does not want the two to coexist. The cMBP is currently Apples best selling machine. If they upgraded it to specs similar to those in a Haswell rMBP, there would be no incentive to spend an extra $400 on a retina model. Lets be real here....how many people actually give two ***** about a retina display.

10. mcbrandt13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I get the idea of a Retinas from a business standpoint. Less upgradeability means more sales of new laptops vs. simple part upgrades. It's great for them. I'm just amazed at how similar the MBA and rMBP models are at this point. Shortly they'll just merge in to one model (that you have to upgrade every year or two), but I'd feel so slighted if Apple ignored the users who like to upgrade their stuff and aren't the average non-computer educated consumer. I guess that's where the money is, though. I'm pretty much set on a cMBP at this point, but I'm just curious about waiting for refreshes/price drops on it, or if that'd be a waste of time (currently $999 +$100 app card with Education discount).

11. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Consumer devices are better for apple because you purchase a new one instead of upgrading.
    Upgradable devices are bad because the owner can do upgrades and keep the old one running for another 1-2 years.

But I'm sure that apple also considers the value of a low cost, but upgradable entry point into the Mac range. Without the cMBP, there are many Mac owners like myself, that might not have got a Mac at all.

I'm thinking that in the short to medium term, they might drop the 15" cMBP and keep the 13" a little longer.

But for the 15" I suspect apple are thinking that if the buyer can afford the extra for a 15" cMBP, he/she can also afford the Retina, either 13" or 15".