Consequences of Education Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ICEBreaker, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear forum members,

I am about to get my first Mac! I noticed that the online store features an education discount for students and educators. My mum is a lecturer, and should qualify for the discount. I was wondering, what would be the consequence of using my mum to get the discount? For instance:

[1] Could I use my own credit card, or must it be hers. Not a problem, although I would like the credit card points for myself!

[2] Do Macs come with an online account? Would the account be preset with her name, or can I register it under my name? Technical support etc, would only respond to her? Now that would be a problem.

Hope you guys have the answer. Thanks a lot for your help.

JC

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, you should be able to use your credit card, just make sure you enter your information for the billing information.

If by online account you mean .Mac, then yes they do. But everything will be filled out when you first start up your Mac (name, address, etc...). :)

So as far as I know, even if your mum purchases the computer, everything should be able to be registered in your name.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

Other "Consequences" of the educational program, as far as I know, is that you are limited to one computer per year under the program.

And, I believe if you purchase software with the edu discount, it isn't eligible to upgrade later (you get tagged for full price - and THEN you are eligible for upgrade versions)

-Allen

4. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you DMW007 and Allen for your advice. Just want to clarify... You mean all the details on .Mac would be preset in my mum's name. But I can change this? The address is OK, since we are the same household (otherwise, it would be a cheat of the discount).

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It's not preset. You register when you start up your new Mac, and you can put in any address/name at that point. There's nothing designating the computer itself as an educational machine/sale. It's only relevant to the price you pay.

(as for software, I don't believe Apple has any "upgrade" discounts, or at least rarely does; however, Microsoft Office did have a "student" edition that was much cheaper but did not provide for a reduced-price upgrade)

6. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I see. I'll go for it then. Thanks a lot!