Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
What are the consequences of jail breaking my iPod Touch 2g? The apps I can install on it are not validated by Apple so does that mean I could get a virus on it? Will it void my warranty if I restore it back to the default firmware etc?
Thanks

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Jeeeze............ If you screw with any product in a method that the manufacturer did not intend and then ask for warranty work, you have given them every right in the world to deny your warranty claim.

Why is this simple fact so difficult for you folks to believe? Even if a I buy a (gasp...) Dell PC and have problems with the stupid box, the manufactuer will usually start a warranty discussion with......" It's not our hardware, its (choose 1) a virus, third party sofware, failure to update, etc......."

A computer (or iPhone or iPod Touch) is an incredibly complicated device that involves an intricate dance between hardware and software to function. And most compouter problems are digital in nature, either it works or it don't. I like the Apple stuff because they control both the software and hardware, maximizing the ability of the components to work together. Wait till your waranty is up and then screw with your toys all you want.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
From what I have read on this forum, the general consensus seems to be that you just restore the device to its factory settings using iTunes before bringing it in to the Apple store and no one will be the wiser. I guess the biggest consequence would be that you lose all your info if you do have to restore. I am certainly no expert and am not planning to jail break mine, but I have read about this a few times here. Good luck!

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Hasn't Apple now announced that it IS illegal to jailbreak the iPhone or iPod Touch?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
From what I have read on this forum, the general consensus seems to be that you just restore the device to its factory settings using iTunes before bringing it in to the Apple store and no one will be the wiser.

So we're advocating scamming Apple out of $$$ by being dishonest about what we may or may not have done to our devices now are we?

I don't think it's cool to do that sort of thing, do you? How much better do you think our Apple devices would be if people were just willing to be honest with the C.S. reps about problems with the devices, and with themselves about what they expect from their devices.

If you're going to screw around with your iPod's OS (which Apple would have you not do) then don't expect them to pay for any problems that arise.

It's completely dishonest and makes you a lesser person.

SLC

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
So we're advocating scamming Apple out of $$$ by being dishonest about what we may or may not have done to our devices now are we?

I don't think it's cool to do that sort of thing, do you? How much better do you think our Apple devices would be if people were just willing to be honest with the C.S. reps about problems with the devices, and with themselves about what they expect from their devices.

If you're going to screw around with your iPod's OS (which Apple would have you not do) then don't expect them to pay for any problems that arise.

It's completely dishonest and makes you a lesser person.

SLC

What are the consequences of jail breaking my iPod Touch 2g? The apps I can install on it are not validated by Apple so does that mean I could get a virus on it? Will it void my warranty if I restore it back to the default firmware etc?
Thanks

I find it more than likely that restoring your iPod's OS to a non-jailbroken state would fix any software related problem anyway.

If the problem is a hardware problem, (i.e. home button not clicking, etc.) then it wasn't caused by the jailbrake and it would probably be okay to ask apple to fix it.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I find it more than likely that restoring your iPod's OS to a non-jailbroken state would fix any software related problem anyway.

If the problem is a hardware problem, (i.e. home button not clicking, etc.) then it wasn't caused by the jailbrake and it would probably be okay to ask apple to fix it.

You're not wrong in that assumption, but Apple has made it abundantly clear that jailbreaking the thing voids the warranty. Trying to cover your tracks and hand it in on warranty after you've knowingly done something that invalidates that warranty is despicable, dishonest, and is only costing Apple money (and believe me, they lose a lot of money on trying to make people happy).

I for one would like to see them be able to save the $$$ and bring out some kick ass new stuff in the upcoming years. How much of the price inflation of Apple products is built in because of the terribly finicky customers they seem to attract. People expect a free repair 6 months after warranty expires, and oftentimes Apple caves and gives it to them.

If you want to jailbreak, go ahead, knock yourself out. But at least have the decency to be honest and not expect Apple to stand by the thing anymore.

SLC

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
You're not wrong in that assumption, but Apple has made it abundantly clear that jailbreaking the thing voids the warranty. Trying to cover your tracks and hand it in on warranty after you've knowingly done something that invalidates that warranty is despicable, dishonest, and is only costing Apple money (and believe me, they lose a lot of money on trying to make people happy).

I for one would like to see them be able to save the $$$ and bring out some kick ass new stuff in the upcoming years. How much of the price inflation of Apple products is built in because of the terribly finicky customers they seem to attract. People expect a free repair 6 months after warranty expires, and oftentimes Apple caves and gives it to them.

If you want to jailbreak, go ahead, knock yourself out. But at least have the decency to be honest and not expect Apple to stand by the thing anymore.

SLC

So if he jailbreaks his phone, and than the home button for example, stops working. It is a completely unrelated hardware issue that was not caused in any way shape or form by the jailbreak. He should just be out of luck?

If Apple doesn't want to spend so much money replacing products they should make a higher quality product.

Tboy91

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Indy
Go to jail.

umm okay did apple say : heres your ipod/iphone dont hack it or
did you pay $400 bucks to do whatever you want with it besides giving a copyrighted code

its not illegal to jailbreak a ipod touch or iphone however with 2nd gen you might want to see someone do it before you just incase it messes up

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
If the problem is hardware related, therefore NOT caused by a jailbreak, it should definitely still be covered by the warranty. If Apple doesn't like it, they should A) Make stronger devices B) Loosen the warranty to allow jailbreaking or C) Let cooler things into the App Store.

And SLC Flyfishing, you make it sound like Apple is some low company picking for change in the couch cushions so they can have enough money to make some new products. Apple has plenty of money. TONS of it, actually.

And jailbreaking is NOT illegal. Maybe to Apple it is, but they really can deal with it. How do you think a trial for someone who jailbroke their iPhone will hold up? It won't. It'll never happen.

If the problem with the iPhone was NOT your fault, then you deserve to have it replaced or repaired. That's kind of the point of a warranty.
Voiding your warranty because you jailbroke your iPhone is simply Apple's way of keeping a tight control on what you can and cannot do with your device. Nothing else.

Oh, and SLC Flyfishing: How exactly is Apple losing money if you want to have your device repaired because the home button broke or you have another hardware related problem? That hardware defect was going to appear whether your iPhone was jailbroken or not. So the people who have NOT jailbroken their device are NOT costing Apple money, but the people who did jailbreak it ARE costing Apple money, even though the jailbreak made absolutely no difference whatsoever?

Think some more. Please.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
...If Apple doesn't like it, they should A) Make stronger devices B) Loosen the warranty to allow jailbreaking or C) Let cooler things into the App Store.

And jailbreaking is NOT illegal. Maybe to Apple it is, but they really can deal with it. How do you think a trial for someone who jailbroke their iPhone will hold up? It won't. It'll never happen.

If the problem with the iPhone was NOT your fault, then you deserve to have it replaced or repaired. That's kind of the point of a warranty.
Voiding your warranty because you jailbroke your iPhone is simply Apple's way of keeping a tight control on what you can and cannot do with your device. Nothing else.

Think some more. Please.

Hahaha: "make stronger devices." That's what apple has been doing. They would never, ever allow jailbreaking. It would require them to replace every single bricked iPod/iPhone that's out there. Same with letting "cooler things" into the app store. App store themes will never happen. Apple likes to keep all of their products within a certain aesthetic.

Jailbreaking is illegal under the DMCA. Encryption put in place to protect the device from unauthorized hacking is being bypassed. You may own the piece of complex metal and semiconductors in your hand, but you have limited rights to the software it runs on.

Just because it's illegal, that doesn't mean apple will ever sue anyone with a jailbroken iPod; they know that since they've released the app store very few people have wanted to jailbreak anyways. But they could sue if they had the motivation.

You're not wrong in that assumption, but Apple has made it abundantly clear that jailbreaking the thing voids the warranty...

...People expect a free repair 6 months after warranty expires, and oftentimes Apple caves and gives it to them.

SLC

Oh, I meant I think it would be ethically okay to ask apple to replace a broken home button regardless of the state of the software. Not legally, of course.

Four20

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
you void the warranty if you take it to apple jailbroken.

but as long as you restore it before you take it in, you're good

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I can't believe how dishonest all of you are. It clearly states in the warranty document that modifying the iPod in any way will void the warranty. And you don't think it's unethical to remove evidence that you've done just that, and turn it in on warranty anyway?

Remind me to avoid dealing with you folks in the buy/sell area of the forum!

SLC

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I can't believe how dishonest all of you are. It clearly states in the warranty document that modifying the iPod in any way will void the warranty. And you don't think it's unethical to remove evidence that you've done just that, and turn it in on warranty anyway?

Because jailbreaking is modifying the software, and there's no way software modification can affect the hardware. Therefore, if something goes wrong with the hardware of my jailbroken ipod or iphone, I consider it well within my rights to get Apple to repair or replace it. Like another poster said earlier, that home button would have broken anyway whether or not the ipod was jailbroken. In fact, it would be interesting if someone was refused service for a hardware problem because their ipod was jailbroken, and took Apple to court for it.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Because jailbreaking is modifying the software, and there's no way software modification can affect the hardware. Therefore, if something goes wrong with the hardware of my jailbroken ipod or iphone, I consider it well within my rights to get Apple to repair or replace it. Like another poster said earlier, that home button would have broken anyway whether or not the ipod was jailbroken. In fact, it would be interesting if someone was refused service for a hardware problem because their ipod was jailbroken, and took Apple to court for it.

It would never make it to court, Apple has stated clearly that modifying the iPod in any way will completely void it's warranty. No judge would ever hear such a case, anyone who sued Apple for denial of warranty service after violating the terms of the warranty would be laughed out of the courtroom!

SLC

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
In my experience, people who voraciously attack others as dishonest are usually a bit hypocritical. Search yourself for all of those little ways that you are dishonest each day. I don't know you so I may be wrong (I am fine with being wrong) but I bet you will find that you are less than saintly. And if you are a saint--then that is plain boring.

There was no need to cite my comment as an example of dishonesty. I said that I was not going to jailbreak my touch. I was simply and honestly reporting what I read elsewhere on the forum.

But keep on posting. With each post you are making the world a better place. All of the dishonest and despicable people will cower before your moral magnitude.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
In my experience, people who voraciously attack others as dishonest are usually a bit hypocritical. Search yourself for all of those little ways that you are dishonest each day. I don't know you so I may be wrong (I am fine with being wrong) but I bet you will find that you are less than saintly. And if you are a saint--then that is plain boring.

There was no need to cite my comment as an example of dishonesty. I said that I was not going to jailbreak my touch. I was simply and honestly reporting what I read elsewhere on the forum.

But keep on posting. With each post you are making the world a better place. All of the dishonest and despicable people will cower before your moral magnitude.

LOL

I'm no saint, but I don't feel it's honest or ethical to force Apple into reimbursing you a few hundred $ in an iPod replacement if you knowingly and willingly violated the warranty aggreement. You agreed to it when you registered the iPod.

I mean, you might as well leave your busted one in the Apple store and sneak a new one out under your shirt; it's really no different at that point.

I wouldn't likely jailbreak, but if I did it's be after warranty expires or I'd acknowledge that I was waiving my warranty by doing so. Sorry if calling you on advocating for stealing hurts your feelings. I just don't understand the mental gymnastics it must take to imagine that this is ok!

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Hah

I have no love for large corporate entities. And I also don't mind being "bad" from time to time. It is not a "sticking it to the man" thing. Sometimes people make mistakes (and screw up their iPod so they can have a sweet background). And sometimes it is okay if they get away with those mistakes. I think it is kind of silly that you are blowing a gasket over there--eyes wide, palms sweating as you are tip-taping on the keyboard, drunk off your mad sense of moral superiority. You are like a pet. An Apple pet. And you are a very good boy/girl.

As far as my feelings are concerned, it will take more than an anonymous post on a forum by some self-righteous random to make me question my own sense of morality.

And with that I am bowing out of this little squabble. This is an exercise in futility, you realize. You are not convincing anyone, and likely neither am I.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Hey calm down man!

This has nothing to do with huge corporations, and it has nothing to do with "stickin it to the man". It has everything to do with simple right vs. wrong, I was always taught that dishonesty was wrong, and that a man was only as good as the trust others could place in him.

If you don't feel the same that's fine, I'm just putting my opinion out there like anyone else.

SLC

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
I'm no saint, but I don't feel it's honest or ethical to force Apple into reimbursing you a few hundred $ in an iPod replacement if you knowingly and willingly violated the warranty aggreement. You agreed to it when you registered the iPod.

Deceiving maybe, but not really dishonest or "unethical" (which I think is what you meant). In such a situation I would never deny that my phone had been jailbroken, if the genius asked I would even admit it. Most of them don't care anyways, but if it was one of the few that did I guess I would be out of luck. If anything the blame is on Apple's employees for handing out free phones to those who do not qualify.

I mean, you might as well leave your busted one in the Apple store and sneak a new one out under your shirt; it's really no different at that point.

That is ridiculous and you know it. There is no difference between buying an expensive device and having it replaced (whether it be right or wrong) under warranty and stealing? Ha, at least you have a good sense of humor.

This has nothing to do with huge corporations, and it has nothing to do with "stickin it to the man". It has everything to do with simple right vs. wrong, I was always taught that dishonesty was wrong, and that a man was only as good as the trust others could place in him.
SLC

I suppose you never drive over the speed limit either.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Deceiving maybe, but not really dishonest or "unethical" (which I think is what you meant). In such a situation I would never deny that my phone had been jailbroken, if the genius asked I would even admit it. Most of them don't care anyways, but if it was one of the few that did I guess I would be out of luck. If anything the blame is on Apple's employees for handing out free phones to those who do not qualify.

That is ridiculous and you know it. There is no difference between buying an expensive device and having it replaced (whether it be right or wrong) under warranty and stealing? Ha, at least you have a good sense of humor.

I suppose you never drive over the speed limit either.

I drive over the speed limit all the time, and when I get pulled over I own up to it, that's the distinction I'm trying to make here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.