Conserving the Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Go Amtrak, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Go Amtrak macrumors newbie

Like many others, my iPhone 5 battery is loosing its ability to hold a charge. I understand that a rechargable battery only had so-many charges in its life. To preserve the number of charges I have left in my battery, I've been turning my phone off when its not in use. I've been doing this between once and three times per day.

I'm wondering how much power I'm using to power it back on. Am I better just putting it in airplane mode?

I ended up buying a mophie battery case, but am still looking for an answer for my question. I can apply it to my iPad, before the battery on that runs out of charges as well.

2. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I usually find it uses less power in airplane mode.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Personally, I just use my phone and plug it in when the battery is low.

Turning it off to save battery might be a good idea for extended periods of time, but if you're turning it back on several times a day, airplane mode would probably be a better choice.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

But how long a period are you leaving the phone off? If for less than 30 minutes, then yeah I believe you're not conserving much power by turning it off.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I set my 4S on airplane mode when asleep at night. My battery is still going strong. There has been a few times, in the past, where I forgot to switch to airplane mode on a 5 hr. flight across country. Can you imagine the battery drain as it searches for wifi and data. But for the most part, I'm consistent now, always on airplane mode once I check-in for my flight and on airplane mode before bed time. I close all apps and only have the Alarm set for wake up nightly.

6. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Airplane mode - yes, turning on and off - no.

Airplane mode stops all the background stuff (like searching for data and wifi constantly, etc)

Also, put it on airplane mode if you want it to charge faster.

7. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

That is completely untrue.

8. cynics macrumors G4

No it's not anything you do that uses less battery while it's charging will increase it's charge time. Opposite applies too, keep the screen on while using GPS will noticeably decrease how fast the phone charges. I use an FM transmitter in my company vehicle and using GPS while plugged into nearly stops the charge (2-5% per hour gain).

9. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

It's been debunked many times. But think what you will. It seems most people on here tend to believe fiction over fact anyway.

10. ApfelKuchen, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The biggest battery hogs by far are the display and the radios. Sleep and Airplane Mode address those. Standby time for an iPhone 5 is "up to 225 hrs," while talk time and/or web browsing time are around 3.5% of Standby (up to 8 hrs.). Audio playback? 40 hrs. (18% of Standby).

Of course, your iPhone 5 cycles-up much faster than my iPhone 4, but even so, if you want to do something in a hurry (even if the radios aren't involved), waking from sleep is going to be faster than a power-up. In the end, you'll be less likely to power-down if the power-up delay becomes inconvenient.

Further, how often would you power-up to do something that doesn't involve the radios? If it's frequent, you'd benefit from being in Airplane anyway.

Personally, if I have to choose between wearing out a tool, and going to significant effort to keep it in near-pristine condition, I'm going to wear it out (not "abuse," not "neglect"). Life's too short. Any well-made tool that gets worn out will have paid back its cost many times over - it only wears out if you use it, and you wouldn't use it if it wasn't useful.

For battery life, I stick to basics, like reducing brightness, limiting push notifications and location services to things I need, no push email, reducing the auto-lock duration, etc. In other words, I focus on waste, rather than restricting usage. If I had to toggle Airplane (or WiFi, or cellular data) every time I wanted to do something involving them, I'd go nuts. For the cost of a few shrink sessions, I could have a new phone. ;)

Apple recently overhauled their battery pages. They're worth another look http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Oh, and of course putting it into Airplane (and locking the screen) is going to speed charging - it's going to charge faster if you're not heavily draining the battery. However, to what degree it'd effect charging is another matter. Actively browsing/transferring data over wifi while charging is one thing, wifi on while the device is asleep is another. If you're not actively using the phone while charging, the difference in charge time between Airplane/no Airplane is probably meaningless to anyone but a participant in some sort of race (...stop to fully charge, then move on to the next task...)

11. cynics macrumors G4

So your are saying a battery that is discharging faster then another that is discharging slower will charge at the same rate correct?

12. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

What I said was it's been proven that putting an iPhone into airplane mode doesn't affect the charging speed. The battery is only going to charge at specific rate. Kinda like the people who believe the 12w charger charges faste than the 5w it's been proven that it does not. But as I also said believe whatever makes you happy.

13. tdale macrumors 65816

I think the issue is that if airplane mode is on, the battery usage rate will be less, so as the phone charges, there is less lost by the phone using battery to stay alive and operate. BUT, it doesn't take long to charge, so any time saving will be hardly noticeable.

Unless the battery is not used when plugged in, if the iPhones power use is by the charging plug?

14. juanrp, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

What I was trying to say..

15. cynics macrumors G4

Exactly. It will charge at the same rate. However it will have further to go since the battery is being depleted faster then if it was in airplane mode thus taking being slower to charge.

Is it noticeable in airplane mode? I dunno, depending on signal strength probably not. But like I mentioned earlier it's easy to notice when using the phone like when using GPS. That's just a more extreme example.

There is no escaping that charging more mah then less will take longer given a set charging rate.

16. bobright macrumors 601

I am thinking of getting a battery replacement on an iPhone 5, would this help at all? Or is it just that the 5 batteries are ALL this way and don't hold charges for long? It seems it got worse with time.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, check if there's actually something wrong with your battery. And of course not all batteries have some sort of issues.

18. gaanee macrumors 65816

How much does turning on Airplane mode at night help for battery life (in terms of longevity)?
    I turn-off 3G/LTE and wifi and just the phone is mostly on standby.

19. cynics macrumors G4

Hard to say, probably next to nothing. For me it's not worth missing that one emergency phone call from a family member or friend that might occur.