Consider buying the new iMac 27 for gaming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by james341, Oct 14, 2015.

1. james341 macrumors regular

Hello
    I'm in the phase of considering buying new iMac or new PC.
    I'm a Mac user but I want to begin playing high end games and to become a gamer I found out you must have a PC with widows to be ale to play all the new games.
    Apple just released the new iMac 5K with the new amd radeon r9 390 and I want to know what do you think about buying this machine instead of a PC?

Thanks

2. ric275 macrumors member

ric275

Okay, so summer 2013 I bought a maxed out 27" iMac with a NVIDIA 680MX GPU. I use Mac primarily but i was becoming a PC gamer so I bought these specs and put Windows on the Mac via bootcamp. Yes the games ran well, but the GPU got very hot, because Macs lack sufficient cooling compared to desktop GPUs. Most games will struggle to run natively at the 5K resolution anyway and the whole thing will be way more expensive than a gaming PC. As my gaming habits got stronger this summer (2 years later) I built my own PC for over £1000 less than the iMac I bought and it is much more powerful, runs cool and quiet, no compatibility issues with keyboards and software on bootcamp etc. I still absolutely LOVE my iMac and use it every day as my computer, but gaming stays on the PC. So if you're happy with Windows as your primary OS and gaming is your absolute sole focus for this machine, get/build a PC, if gaming is your absolute sole focus but you still want mac, do what I did, just get a cheaper lower spec iMac or a MacBook or something alongside the PC.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As gaming is your focus then no a PC with the ability to upgrade your graphics when needed is the way to go for that use case.

4. james341 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys - you helped me a lot - I will stay with my new MacBook 2015 retina and a PC with maybe dual boot ....thanks !!!

5. ric275 macrumors member

ric275

Perfect!