Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I installed the new security update last night and since then I've noticed a considerable amount of slowdown on my 8-core Mac Pro (with 5GB of RAM). Clicking on the Apple takes a half-second or so for the menu to actually pull down, and clicking on a name in the address book takes around 3-5 seconds to actually pull up that persons card.

I've restarted the computer, tried to repair permissions (none needed repair), what should I try next? Resetting the PRAM?

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
I installed the new security update last night and since then I've noticed a considerable amount of slowdown on my 8-core Mac Pro (with 5GB of RAM). Clicking on the Apple takes a half-second or so for the menu to actually pull down, and clicking on a name in the address book takes around 3-5 seconds to actually pull up that persons card.

I've restarted the computer, tried to repair permissions (none needed repair), what should I try next? Resetting the PRAM?

What does Activity Monitor show? Also, do you have stuff in your Login Items?

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I've repaired permissions and tried all of that stuff and it's still much slower than it used to be. Anyone else experience this?

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Try a safe boot (hold down shift at startup).

My Computer was slow after the last update (Took a long time to start-up), so I repaired permissions and reset the PRAM (due to another problem I was having) and my computer is back up and running at full speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.