Considerable slowdown after last security update

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jshbckr, Jun 23, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I installed the new security update last night and since then I've noticed a considerable amount of slowdown on my 8-core mac pro (with 5GB of RAM). Clicking on the Apple takes a half-second or so for the menu to actually pull down, and clicking on a name in the address book takes around 3-5 seconds to actually pull up that persons card.

I've restarted the computer, tried to repair permissions (none needed repair), what should I try next? Resetting the PRAM?

2. tribe3 macrumors 6502

What does Activity Monitor show? Also, do you have stuff in your Login Items?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, verify the drive in Disk Utility and check that you have plenty of free space on the boot drive. :)

4. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

5. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I've repaired permissions and tried all of that stuff and it's still much slower than it used to be. Anyone else experience this?

6. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

Try a safe boot (hold down shift at startup).

7. uMac macrumors 6502

My Computer was slow after the last update (Took a long time to start-up), so I repaired permissions and reset the PRAM (due to another problem I was having) and my computer is back up and running at full speed.