Considerably slow after updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, Jul 3, 2010.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

The last round of safari, itunes and OS updates have killed my speed, beachball city. At first I thought after you install something big the system usually catches up and goes back to normal after a couple of days but it's been like 2 weeks now and mine's still around 50% slower..

I have a 2GHz intel core 2 duo 2GB ram 160HG macbook from 06 I think. It's running on 10.6.4 now but was much faster on 10.6.3.

My safari has been all over the shop. Tried resetting it and I also use cleanmymac pretty regularly but no dice, still slow.

Also my startup chime has been sporadic with volume and sometimes doesn't even happen. Tried resetting my pram but no difference.

Pretty annoyed, any other things to try to get it back to normal?

Haven't installed or downloaded anything big, maybe a couple of hundred mb of music but nothing that should slow it down. I've still got around 90gb free on my hd as well so I don't think that's it...

Also replaced one of my ram cards about 3 or 4 months ago so that should still be ok..

Ideas?

2. canadadude macrumors member

mine too!!!!!!!

After the last update my macbook wont bring up webpages like it used too.This thing is way slower and we didnt download anything else?What can i do to fix this.Thanks in advance

3. style0 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problems with my 6 month old iMac. Very slow to load email and some pages I just give up on.

4. BenCO macrumors newbie

After i upgraded my late 2009 MBP to 10.6.4 mine went to crap as well. Beachballs, doubled my reboot/start up times, overall just felt slower.

I ended up reinstalling OS X and just upgrading to 10.6.3 and reinstalling all my programs. It was time consuming but well worth it from a performance standpoint.

My buddies MBP slowed down at the upgrade as well, so take from that what you will.

5. Love macrumors 68000

Love

My Mac Pro is slow after 10.6.4 too.

Plus, I can't play Portal.

****ing cake.

6. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably just suck it up until the next update, pretty average though if it's happening to people across the board.

7. BenCO macrumors newbie

Yeah it's a PITA. Since then i've started using Time Machine on an external. I have a solid backup of 10.6.3 so if i have any problems i can reinstall and roll back in about an hours time. In fact, i did that today.

I was a Windows guy for ~9 years and used to reinstall Windows every 3-6 months to keep things running smoothly. I remember people always saying OS X ran smooth regardless of upkeep. But i've actually found that a reinstall/restore backup makes things run a lot smoother. I'm pretty anal about my computer and if it so much as reboots slower for more than a day or two i'll reinstall. Time machine makes it easy now on OS X. But i don't really have anything critical on my MBP so it's not that big of a deal to go through the process.