Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdude86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Hi,
I would like to change some opinions about gps tracker for iphone.

I used for longtime motionx, the sport one and i found it pretty cool even if there were some stuff i didnt like too much.
First of all the design, i found it too far from the iphone and too heavy, it looks like a old pinball...:D
The second problem was that for long perfomance it used too much battery. :eek:

Recently I tried a new one, it's not really new but I heard of it just last week in another site. This app is called Easytrials GPS, it come from some europe country :confused: but it's pretty cool...

The most important is that can work in stand by, this helps a lot. I like the design and it is really friendly (really less possible buttons). Maybe it hasn't all the stuff of motionx but i really think it works better.

What do u think about an eusopean company? pretty weird but interesting...
http://www.easytrailsgps.com
Wait ur opinion, Mattdudy :cool:

peter83

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
Dude never heard before of this GPS Tracker...:confused:
Well i have been using Motion X for long time and actually what you mentioned is pretty true...
It doesn't belong to the standard iPhone application outlook and quite often It runs out of battery when using it...:mad:
Well considering that I am from "one of the some european country":mad::mad::confused::eek:, I feel like I have to check it out...
Where do you come from ??? I bet USA pending on your Geography knowledge :p:p:p:p

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
I would love to dump my MotionX GPS which I wrote about elsewhere on this forum. It certainly has a terrible interface.

I went to the website EasyTrails and the video there is quite useless.

Anyone else know about this one?

I got MyMaps but haven't had much time to check it out but it looks quite promising.

rob03

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Hi guys

EasyTrails GPS is a great app!!!

Go to the website or AppStore and get the LITE version to try it out! That´s what i did! :cool:

The only thing is that in the AppStore they only have the 1.4 which doenst have some features :mad: so i got the 2.0. Its cheap and i am really happy with it! :D:D

Much better than MotionX.

mattdude86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Picture video

I would love to dump my MotionX GPS which I wrote about elsewhere on this forum. It certainly has a terrible interface.

I went to the website EasyTrails and the video there is quite useless.

Anyone else know about this one?

I got MyMaps but haven't had much time to check it out but it looks quite promising.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:;) Yeah the video is not the best but I think the app is so easy that u don't need it for explanations:D:D:D
Anyway if u r a doubting thomas (like I am) try the free version:p even if is not the same level...

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I have easytrails. How do you get it to use imperial units? I think the settings on my phone are right.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
What I really want is an app that is useful as a real GPS for cycling not retrospectively.
I haven't tried Easytrails yet, but like MotionX it sounds like you can use it to map your trail AS YOU RIDE, not to download a map and use it on the trail.

I know why people like to have a map of their ride but to me, once I've done it I really don't need to keep a map (ok, it can come in handy if it's a while before the next ride on that route).

What I really want is to leave my paper map behind and use my phone to see where the turns are.
For instance, I ride routes that I have downloaded as training routes and I want to put them on my phone and use my phone on my handlebars to see where and when to turn.
I'm less interested in where I HAVE been then where I AM going.

Ideas?

Anyone had a look at My Maps? Very clean interface and very thoughtful.

mattdude86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
mmm

I have easytrails. How do you get it to use imperial units? I think the settings on my phone are right.
:confused::confused::eek:
Ru sure mate? I changed the settings without problems.
From the settings page of the iphone you choose the Easytrails gps,
after that u go on the page of setting of the app and choose the imperial sistem.... It should work :cool:
Let me know...

mattdude86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Gps tracker VS gps navigator

;);:eek:
What I really want is an app that is useful as a real GPS for cycling not retrospectively.
I haven't tried Easytrails yet, but like MotionX it sounds like you can use it to map your trail AS YOU RIDE, not to download a map and use it on the trail.

I know why people like to have a map of their ride but to me, once I've done it I really don't need to keep a map (ok, it can come in handy if it's a while before the next ride on that route).

What I really want is to leave my paper map behind and use my phone to see where the turns are.
For instance, I ride routes that I have downloaded as training routes and I want to put them on my phone and use my phone on my handlebars to see where and when to turn.

Ideas?

:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi mate, I think u make some confusion between two different kind of apps. :p
Of course that a tracker is different from a navigator. One is for keep track of ur ride, have the datas recorded so u can see improvement and so on. The other is just for go in a place u don't know but once u learned the way u dont need anymore... But for this u dont need any app: there is already google maps, or a load of websites for do it!!!!:D:D:D
However with easytrails u can also have a look on the map in the same time u r riding, use it for directions... It's like a normal paper map BUT u know where u r. :cool:
U can also import tracks from several database or community and challenge other people (ie see if u can do it faster). :rolleyes:
Take care:)

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
:confused::confused::eek:
Ru sure mate? I changed the settings without problems.
From the settings page of the iphone you choose the Easytrails gps,
after that u go on the page of setting of the app and choose the imperial sistem.... It should work :cool:
Let me know...

Thanks, that worked. It's supposed to default to your international settings though according to the web site.

alexr73

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
GPS settings to mph,ft,...

Hi countrydweller! yes, it change automatically, if you have proper settings:
Settings->General->International->Region Format->"US" and it's okay (ft, mph,...).

I've tried to change to UK, and doesn't work, I feel that it's iPhone that considers
metric system in UK, but it's simple to change, depending on habits, just use US! :cool:

alexr73

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
trackers and support in trails...

Ideas?

Hi fred!
well, I've found quite useful this feature of routing, present in EasyTrails: you can select one track, and see it in the map, as long as you're going ahead... this is quite useful when you download trekking paths in an area that you don't know, it's amazing! you can switch from one path to the other, and follow tracks of other people that posted to the many online services (like http://www.everytrails.com - this is one of the best! I'll have a better look at MyMaps, seems cool!). :eek:

the only little problem that I've found is that some tracks in Internet are corrupted :mad:, so I had to recover them with gpsbabel before uploading to the iPhone... I find the interface of EasyTrails very simple and intuitive :apple:, and I can upload several new tracks in 30sec! Also I'm using to keep a personal archive... :cool:

byebye!!!

rob03

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Hi fredf

with the option of import/export tracks, you can use EasyTrails as a tool to tell you where to go!

I am using it like that :D

Checking other trails, download them into my iPhone and off i go to the mountains!

instead of bike i walk, but i guess it works the same way! :D

the only point is that you have to get available tracks in your area. maybe starting a online group to have more tracks available... can be an option

peter83

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
New version

Hey everybody,
You know what??? I just found out that the new version 2.1 has got the release from :apple: !!
It's now available with more advanced GPS functionality
There are also some tips & tricks to help you make better use of the GPS tracker.

mattdude86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Updates and rumors

Yeah, the 2.1 gives some help and tricks for the gps problem... May we write to apple for ask to improve it?
Anyway Know what? I heard that there will be soon another update that involves http://www.everytrail.com...
amazing this european guys... And they r italians:eek:
Maybe it's true what they say: "italians do it better?"
Maybe just in design :p:p:p

rob03

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Yeah, the 2.1 gives some help and tricks for the gps problem... May we write to apple for ask to improve it?
Anyway Know what? I heard that there will be soon another update that involves http://www.everytrail.com...
amazing this european guys... And they r italians:eek:
Maybe it's true what they say: "italians do it better?"
Maybe just in design :p:p:p

you can write straight to the developers.. www.easytrailsgps.com

yeah seems italians r not just good making pizzas!!! :D

mattdude86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
It' s coming! it's coming?

What happened to the 2.5 version of EasyTrails? Someone knows?
So long...:confused:

alexr73

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
version 2.5

version 2.5 is out from today... at least, I've seen today!

you can share directly in http://www.everytrail.com !!!

:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0117.PNG
    IMG_0117.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 48
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.