Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knukko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have some questions about the macbook pro/general apple warranty:

I bought the mid 2010 macbook pro 15" 2.4GHz i5, Hi-Res screen, 500Gb 7200 rpm right after its release last year for 1600 € via apple on campus. That was a very good deal, since the regular store price for this configuration is about 1950 €. Now my 1-year warranty is about to expire in a few months and I considered to buy the apple care for about 250 €. But then I also considered the following: try to sell the macbook pro at ebay for at least 1600 € and just buy a new one with the same configuration, giving me another year of warranty. I think the chances are very high to get at least 1600 € (about 80% of original price) if I sell now before they are eventually updated, since the hardware has no single issue and one can still buy an apple care.

Now my actual question is: is this scenario a common practice? Sell and rebuy (after almost one year) to avoid buying an apple care? How do you handle this? What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Greets,
knukko

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have some questions about the macbook pro/general apple warranty:

I bought the mid 2010 macbook pro 15" 2.4GHz i5, Hi-Res screen, 500Gb 7200 rpm right after its release last year for 1600 € via apple on campus. That was a very good deal, since the regular store price for this configuration is about 1950 €. Now my 1-year warranty is about to expire in a few months and I considered to buy the apple care for about 250 €. But then I also considered the following: try to sell the macbook pro at ebay for at least 1600 € and just buy a new one with the same configuration, giving me another year of warranty. I think the chances are very high to get at least 1600 € (about 80% of original price) if I sell now before they are eventually updated, since the hardware has no single issue and one can still buy an apple care.

Now my actual question is: is this scenario a common practice? Sell and rebuy (after almost one year) to avoid buying an apple care? How do you handle this? What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Greets,
knukko

While I dont do it personally (I keep my Macs in service for a decade or so as they cost a fortune (PowerMacs and Mac Pros)) - I know of people who do this, however you have to ensure that you set the reserve at the right price, just in case it should go for less and your out of money. Also remember to wipe the drive and zero it out before you sell ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.