Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ib4walrus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
US
I'm planning to get a carrying bag (most likely a messenger bag) and would like to know a few things before I do.

Can I get bags that can hold bigger laptops or would bags designed specifically designed for the MB be best? Which are the reputable brands that makes durable bags that gives the best protection (and won't actually scratch the MB)? Does the product material add any additional protection or is only for my own anesthetic purposes? I don't really need a ton of space, just enough for a wireless mouse and maybe one textbook and a few notebooks, so preferably looking for more "stylish" designs. I'm only 16 so let's try to keep this under $150 ;).

Sorry if I've asked too many questions.

ib4walrus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
US
I've gone and chose to get the customizable Timbuk2 laptop messenger but before I buy it, has anyone ever tried customized their own bag yet? How was the quality, fit, etc.

mayanka89

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Midwest
I didn't customize my Timbuk2, but got the Originals Commute at my local REI. Laptop compartment is very nice, made of soft corduroy. The bag is built to last too. I'm very happy with it.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I Love my Marware Sportfolio, lined Zips, made for them, pockets for EVERYTHING. Charger, iPod, Battery, Ext. Hdd, USB Stick, Blank CD's, Magazines, Random USB Cables, PSP etc.

ib4walrus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
US
Is it best to buy a bag that fits my laptop?
For instance, if I need the space, should I get a bag that can fit up to a 15" even though I only have a 13"? Or should I get a better fit (designed for 13")?

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Is it best to buy a bag that fits my laptop?
For instance, if I need the space, should I get a bag that can fit up to a 15" even though I only have a 13"? Or should I get a better fit (designed for 13")?

I suggest getting a bag that is designed for your laptop because the extra space could lead to damage due to items wedging in between your laptop and the padding.

I like Timbuk2 and was actually able to find a discounted bag at a local TJ Maxx, in case there's one in your area.

ib4walrus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
US
Okay thanks guys for the help!
spitefire I think those bags are a little too feminine for me (I'm a guy haha), but it's all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.