Considering 13" Macbook Pro, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fouracre44, May 27, 2013.

1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'll try and keep it short. I'm moving into a new house and am getting a new computer, my old computer has had it. I used to do a bit of gaming on it and just really put it through it's paces. Now I'm looking for something a bit different.

Originally, when I was going to buy a computer, I was considering an imac, mainly for it's excellent screen size which interests me, however. I realized that between work and spending time with my girlfriend and family I'm not on the computer a whole lot. I don't really have a fleeting need to spend $2000 - $3000 on an imac when the performance won't be needed.

Now my question, is the Macbook Pro 13" Retina fast, with it's dual core CPU, I apologise if that sounds ignorant as I know many applications don't utilise all the cpu's cores. However I have no experience with it and was just wondering. I don't do any gaming on my computer now, I have found that I prefer console gaming and am currently awaiting the playstation 4 so I don't need any gaming performance, but I will be doing some music production and my girlfriend is into photography. Another thing that appeals to me is the size, although I don't move my laptop out of my house, I certainly move it around the house, and would do so more once I get better internet.

I'm thinking that I will get the one with the flash storage, and then keep it hooked up to an external drive. But I wanted to know if this was worth a purchase, powerful enough for a descent computing experience with room to explore things later on like Music Production, some photo stuff etc...

Thanks guys

2. Augustine864 macrumors regular

I'm in the midst of making this decision as well. the 13" vs 15" rMBP. I'm making it very difficult for myself.

They arguments will be that for the money, the 15" is just a much better deal in terms of performance. Quad core cpu and dedicated GPU. Also RAM upgradable to 16GB I suppose. More screen real estate. Weight difference between the two is only 0.5 lbs I think.

And yet I still find myself leaning 13". I am getting a new laptop for grad school so most of my uses will be internet and word processing. My tasks will probably rarely use four cores and I don't really need a dedicated GPU. I also really want to move to a 13" footprint, though I do have some concern over the 13" being just too small for multitasking, but I don't know.

For me I also have to consider that I very occasionally will play an RTS, (usually a dated one), when I'm very bored. It is rare but I would like to have the ability, and the 15" would absolutely handle it better, but if I keep playing dated games (Rise of Nations), it won't matter.

It sounds like your uses are even less demanding than mine. If you two have those music and photography interests as hobbies it sounds like the 13" would suit your needs fully, especially if you are attracted to that size.

I'm waiting to see what they announce at WWDC before I make my final decision, but those are just the noob thoughts that popped into my noob head when I read your post.