considering 13" MBP for development; docked most of time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codeman73, Mar 22, 2011.

1. codeman73 macrumors newbie

We have an older PC desktop that I'm considering replacing with a MBP. The main reason I'm considering the switch to Mac is to be able to do iPhone development on the side (I'm a developer by day, mainly Java on a PC).

I was planning on keeping the MBP docked most of the time so I could use a larger external monitor and keyboard. I found those HengeDocks that look promising. But I wanted to at least have the possibility of laptop portability.

Is it silly to consider a laptop for only limited portability? Any issues with long-term docking?

I was looking at the refurbs on the apple store; one with 4GB RAM and 2.66 core speed for around $1k looks pretty good.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I would get the latest 2011 MBP 13" for $200 more.

3. mrlhxc macrumors member

If you want to go the cheapest route you could go with the Mac Mini which essentially has the same insides as a 2010 13" MBP. They will be refreshed soon, just as the iMacs. However, if you NEED a new computer asap, i think you will find the 2010 13" MBPs more than suitable for your needs. I also think that you will LOVE it as a notebook for when you are on the GO. You can always run a copy of windows with bootcamp or through virtualization. I got a 2010 13" MBP when they were first released, absolutely love it. I've been building gaming PC's for the last 7 years, hated Apple for so long, but as an IT guy i got curious about OSX, now i love their laptops and will never buy another brand computer (unless they do something really stupid). As far as "docking", the laptop will obviously run hotter, fans louder, but temps should be just fine. Shouldn't have problems overheating, especially with the 13" models as they don't even have dedicated graphics.
    If you can fork over the extra money, i'd get the 2011 model, the i5 is better as it supports Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost compared to the C2D. Although as a developer, you may never notice these hardware changes.
    Sorry this is a longer reply, in short, you will be happy with the purchase of either Macbook Pro. If you want to save some money, go with the 2010 model and put the money towards the dock and display port adapter and stuff. Apple refurbished products are great!
    Hope this helps in anyway.

4. codeman73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, that's just the kind of feedback I was looking for. What 'display port adapter'? I have an older monitor, do I need an adapter for that? I don't even know what the different cable connections are called. This one is what I thought PC monitor cables have looked like for years; about half inch wide, slightly trapezoidal, maybe 11-13 pins.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah you'll probably need a mini displayport to VGA or mini displayport to DVI adaptor to use the current monitor you have. A quick search in google images for DVI or VGA will show you which one you have!

Yeah I agree with the above post, the current mac minis are too underpowered at the moment and are definitely due an update, whereas for not much more you can get a MBP which is more powerful, and also can be undocked if you need to use it on the go. If you can wait, the new mac mini might do what you want, but who knows how long you will have to wait, as Apple can be quite unpredictable at times! [​IMG]

6. Usquebaugh macrumors newbie

This would have been my preferred route except that I don't have any space for a dock / external monitor, so I'm picking up a 15" hi res.

Honestly the 13" would have done everything I needed just fine but because I need the extra screen space on the laptop itself I didn't have much choice - developing on the 1280 x 800 screen alone would probably have been a nightmare.